N-Scale Climax ?
.I'm in the process of trying to build a N-Scale Climax that will actually run and ( hopefully ) run well enough to use in operation. On another forum we are posting the process as we go along (no two people are building the same thing). This way if I fail to pull this off you all can have a good laugh at my expense . Goldth Goldth 357 Goldth Goldth But that's O.K., I'm used to being laughed at, after all I was married for years! Goldth Back to topic here. I will be using a Life-Like SW9/1200 for the power plant as it's the smallest good running mech I know of. I won't be able to reduce the height much so I will try to reduce the length as much as I can to give the loco as small a look as possible. It will probably come out looking like a 35-50 tonner (don't think they made Class A's any bigger than 25 tons) but I want to keep as much lead as I can. I will not give up performance for the sake of rivet counting. On that note, I picked the Class A Climax because of all the photos I have no two are quite the same, which helps the defense against rivet counting Goldth Eek Goldth Mine will have the wood stacked on top of the water tank even though this wasn't a common practice, to hide the lead. It will also have the enclosed cab to hide the motor. This first photo shows the two body shells, the 0-6-0 (donated by Charlie, thanks Charlie! Big Grin ) has the boiler section already removed. That is the only section of that loco that will be used and it will have to have a lot of modifications. The only thing that will be used off the SW will be the running boards which also carry the electrical contacts. The rest of the body will have to be scratchbuilt.

Here we do a test fit of boiler to running board.

Here "No Fingers" sees if what we have so far will still run (thankfully it does).

The circled areas show were lead was filed off the back off the chassis, which will be the front of the Climax.

On the other end the only mod so far is removal of the printed circuit board.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string

Messages In This Thread