A second start for my "White Swan" reefers
Yesterday was a good day - I cleaned my desctop by finishing of a heavy weathering for two mother stock cars and new I can restart my old project with the five "White Swan" reefers. Click my old description of former thread My duff challenge or start here with my last picture

[Image: whiteswan_042k.jpg]

and my insight, that these models are too low - 2 foot to low! All!
I looked to use the reefer door latch kits by Grandt Line and I disregarded one of the primary dimensions of description - the inner height of these cars with 10' - 2". And this a very great and extraordinary height for reefers and boxed cars generally.
Next problem is come by a discussion with my friend who the models will paint and letter if these extra height is correct in such a train where nearly all cars will have a very similar height? Is the difference to other cars too big for brakemen at their walking over the roofs? Ok, I should build a test model on base of the old cars in order to solve this question. And this are my attempts.

First I built a cardboard model on base of one of my old models ...

[Image: whiteswan-test_05.jpg]

... and I have given it a "basic face" by a bit editing of picture before.

[Image: whiteswan-test_06.jpg]

And so the model will look in train between models of "ordinary" height.

[Image: whiteswan-test_08.jpg]

This picture now should be a the base for my questions.

[Image: whiteswan-reefer_visio.jpg]

The catolog of Seattle car & Founrdy Co. said that this car has an inner high of 10' 2".
Question is at what for points should I set the marks? The floor level is ok. But what is the upper point when I can't see roof construction from outside? I should consider that there are ridge poles, beams and carlines, that the roof will have a double sheathing and an isolation. Where so will be the metering point?
I have set it at highest point for my test model where it could be - at underside of roof edge and so this model is a bit more than 2 foot higher as other models. What do you think? Is this assumption such one which you can accept? Would you define a different measuring point like I have set it on low edge of fascia board? I think that this could give problems because the jump on roof line or walk boards will be enlarged - and brakemen must conquer larger high differences on their way about roofs.
I hope that you understand my problem and interests to build maybe correct models. Can you accept my ideas and arguments? I'm very interested to read your answers and opinions.

I think you know my enthusiasm for my project and so I have played a bit more mit bits and bytes - and as result I have got these previews to models ...

[Image: whiteswan-test_07.jpg]

[Image: whiteswan-test_10.jpg]

... also if the cars will have a red or boxcar red base paint.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread