Old Steamers
Lately, old steamers are finding their way to me. To go along with my Big Boy, I just acquired this old Mantua Pacific:

The paint is peeling, the seams were never filed off, the pilot is missing, and it sounds like a blender, but it runs strong. A little cleaning and lube should help it out. It also came with a brass tender.

I also got this Bowser H-9 mechanism. I had an old junky shell, which I think is an IHC:

I modified the mounting areas, drilled holes for mounting, and put lead in the boiler. It's a little loud as well, but quieted down with just a few minutes of running.

Finally, I enjoyed building my Bowser Casey Jones so much, I've been looking for other Bowser kits at shows and on eBay. I finally won a Pennsy K4 on eBay, and it arrived today, along with my ladders and grabs from Intermountain (see Reefer Madness):

I'm also working on valve gear from Bowser with an MDC Harriman Connie. OK, I've got a few questions.

I looked for pilots for the Pacific. I don't really like the plastic kit pilot. I have a Cal-Scale brass pilot; I'd like to solder it to some sheet brass pieces and build a pilot. Anyone ever done that? Any advice? Also, the cab looks small--are there better cabs available?

The IHC shell has two sand domes. Is it from an 0-8-0? I want to cut the back one off and patch with styrene, to look more normal.

Finally, the K4 has a Belpaire firebox. I don't model PRR, so is it possible to grind off the square box? Does it resemble any other Pacifics without the Belpaire?

Messages In This Thread