Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint?
Ok, I seemed to have done a better job this time around with the primer at least. Looks more like I would expect paint to look like. Boxcar needs some touching up before I try the NH boxcar red color I picked up:

[Image: 20180806_163141_zpshcfqpfc0.jpg]

[Image: 20180806_163124_zpsurtwrf81.jpg]

[Image: 20180806_163054_zpsrm3wf8ma.jpg]

Chris, mix ratio at my 2nd go around with boxcar red was 4 parts paint to 2 parts Tru-color thinner. That is what gave me the flat color in this example:
[Image: 20180805_104857_zps9pr3z0nk.jpg]

It wasn't until I upped the thinner and PSI and had a less humid evening that I got the glossier result.

From reading some input on other forums, I understand evaporation is a problem with this paint. The acetone portion of this paint has a tendency to evaporate in shipping or while on the shelves in the store. Even when I picked it up from the LHS, they told me it was an issue. They even topped my brand new, just ordered bottle off with thinner, because of evaporation. I was also told that a lot of vendors who sell Tru-colors paint, have been trying to convince the makers of Tru-colors to go to a glass bottle to help avoid evaporation.

I am not sure what shape the first bottle of NH boxcar red was in when I got it. I may have already been in a deficit when I began using it right out of the bottle. To much paint, not enough thinner. When I was using Pollyscale paint, I found a mix ratio of 6 parts paint to 2 parts distilled water a fairly good ratio. I am not as precise as you are achieving to be, I was only using the 3.5" pipettes and still am. For now, with the Tru-colors paint I'm running with, if it looks like the consistency of 2% milk it's good until I can come up with a more exact ratio. Or you post your results.

On last thing on pipettes, how come I can only find 3.5" pipettes to 10 or 12 packs for like 6 bucks, and on Ebay I can buy a bulk quantity of 100, 4.5" or 6" pipettes for around the same price. Even cheaper if I get them from China. But I can't find a bulk quantity of the 3.5" ones anywhere?

Question is rhetorical, no need for an answer.

Oh, and yes as far as the issue with humidity, I was referring to from the point of the air-brush to the area being painted. At least that is what I understood the article to mean.

Thx,
mark

Messages In This Thread
Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 07-22-2018, 07:34 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by dave1905 - 08-03-2018, 07:25 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 08-04-2018, 05:31 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 08-05-2018, 10:39 AM
RE: Mix ratio for Tru-colors paint? - by twilight - 08-06-2018, 05:27 PM