Just for Fun
Some times ago, I bought two undecorated Proto 2000 50’ Automobile boxcar kits in a train show at 5$ per kit.  After documenting the project, I couldn’t be sure that CNR, my favorite road, ever had this type of car with a door at the A end. I put those kits aside and decided to use them for parts.  The excellent Proto trucks and metal wheels are actually being worth more than the price of the kit. Furthermore, the previous owner had started the assembly of one of the kits and some parts were broken or missing.

Two weeks ago, while visiting a local hobby shop, I found two Proto 2000 50’ Automobile boxcar kits decorated for the CNR with the correct A end for the prototype at 12,95$ per kit.  Although I like to paint and letter my cars myself, I decided to buy them and have some easy modeling.  Proto 2000 kits are generally nice kits with small and delicate parts that makes nice cars. 

In no time I had both ready to be put on the layout.

I then thought that I should have a look back at those undecorated kits with the end door. I also did more search on the Internet and found that GTW had such cars and a look at an old photo convinced me that the kit is right with the prototype.

I decided to build the kits and replaced the broken and missing parts on the underframe the same way I did on more challenging kits in the last few months.

Those cars have deep side sills and those parts will be barely visible when the car will be on the tracks but I know they are there.

Here is a photo of the cars waiting for the paint shop. Note that on the closer car, I had to make the tackboards as I had used the one that came with the kit for another project.

Easy modeling but fast and good results.  A few hours of pleasure too.
Guy from Southern Quebec.

Messages In This Thread
Just for Fun - by CNR5103 - 02-08-2019, 08:42 AM
RE: Just for Fun - by scribbelt - 02-08-2019, 12:36 PM
RE: Just for Fun - by doctorwayne - 02-08-2019, 11:04 PM
RE: Just for Fun - by jim currie - 02-09-2019, 11:15 AM
RE: Just for Fun - by doctorwayne - 02-09-2019, 02:08 PM
RE: Just for Fun - by CNR5103 - 02-09-2019, 04:00 PM
RE: Just for Fun - by jim currie - 02-09-2019, 04:48 PM
RE: Just for Fun - by doctorwayne - 02-09-2019, 06:23 PM