removing window strips on AF passenger cars
(11-01-2019, 05:33 AM)leon Wrote: I could not remove the  window strips from the passenger car and decided to remove the old paint--needless to say the inserts had the figures removed also.  So now I have clear windows.  I figure I could glue some figures  in the car.  I guess I will have to decide on removing or NOT removing the old paint in order to save the inserts.  Maybe I could mask off the area of the windows-paint the rest of the car-then come back and brush paint the masked area.  Of course this would mean leaving on the old paint. What are your thoughts about this?  I do thank all of you for your input.
leon

Since I'm not familiar with those American Flyer cars, I'm confused by your reference to "inserts".  Are they some sort of separate feature inside the car?  I have seen similar cars with the silhouettes of figures painted on the interior of the windows.  A picture or two might be helpful in understanding the set-up.

If the exteriors of the cars don't have too many fine details, you may be able to get by with masking the windows and painting over the rest, then going back later to do the brushwork.  However, if there's lettering on the cars, it might be a good idea to remove it, as it's been mentioned that it may show though the new paint as a low relief "ghost", regardless of how well the new paint will otherwise cover it.

Methyl hydrate or 99% alcohol, on a clean rag, and with some amount of "elbow grease" may work for removing the lettering.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread
RE: removing window strips on AF passenger cars - by doctorwayne - 11-01-2019, 11:52 AM