Change modeling focus?
I got into HO scale model railroading in the mid-'50s, and dropped-out, temporarily, 8 or 9 years later.  My interest re-kindled in the early 70s, but I had no layout, nor even room for one, since we were living in rented quarters. 
When we were finally able to buy a house, I spent the first few years doing repairs and upgrades, but eventually got around to building an around-the-room layout in a basement room.
When we sold that house, the buyer asked if I could leave the layout, and I gladly did - it was operational, but had only one small area with scenery and I didn't leave any trains.  I don't know how long it lasted.

We moved to a small fruit farm close to Lake Ontario, and while it was a beautiful area, the basement wasn't at all suitable for a layout. 
We were there for less than two years when we finally had an opportunity to buy a building lot, and in April 1988, I began construction, with us finally moving-in in early November. 
There was still lots to be done, and since I was doing most of it, it was a couple of years before I was able to start a layout in the basement, which I figured would be my domain, other than for a laundry room.
Within a couple months of starting construction of the benchwork, I went from an L-shaped layout room of about 1100 square feet, to one of a very odd shape with an area of 560 sq.ft., all due to "family considerations".

The odd-shape of the room forced me to ditch a sketched-up trackplan for the larger area, so I simply moved the partially built benchwork in the "new" room, placing it where it would fit, then built more to suit the space.  I had no trackplan at all, so took a sheet of 3/4" plywood, cutting it into arcs starting at a radius of 30", and increasing 2" with each successive cut.  I then placed the largest curves that would fit in in each of the room's 10 corners, cutting up another sheet of the same stuff  as needed, and splicing them together.  Pretty-well all of them were on risers, so all that was left to do was connect all of the curves with straight-ish roadbed.

In retrospect, this forced move gave me a challenge that has pushed me to make the layout both operable and interesting, and I'm not yet tired of it, although I am falling behind in getting much done.

(02-09-2021, 04:52 PM)nachoman Wrote: Anyone else face this crossroads where you give up on the direction you have been going for years and go a different way?

While I'm yet not giving up on my plan to continue, I am wondering when the time will come when the layout has to go....it has always generated some friction because I tend to find myself drawn to it, even when I know that I should be doing other, less selfish, pursuits.   I can't imagine existing without it, even though I can imagine it gone.

Kevin, I've always admired your modelling and and your decision to freelance, but still be able to make the over-all impression that it represents a railroad which once existed...it simply looked completely believeable to me.

I still enjoy what I've built, and at times, am even enthralled by it, but if you've lost interest in what you started earlier, perhaps a different direction will re-ignite your interest.  Don't let the talents that you've shown us go to waste.

I was speaking with a friend a few days ago, and we both agreed that this hobby, even with all its foibles and in this time where everything sometimes feels oppressive, this is a darn good way to keep occupied and hopeful, and find joy in the things we do, simply because we can do those things. 
I see so many people on the verge of giving-up, and don't doubt that it's because they have nothing of interest to do, except eat, sleep, go to work, come home to nothing.  We can do stuff!!  We can make things!! We can challenge ourselves, whether it's working on the same old layout, or moving on to something more interesting or more challenging.

I think that we all go through the doldrums at some point, but if we have imagination (many do not) we can lift ourselves above it.  Don't give up.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread
Change modeling focus? - by nachoman - 02-09-2021, 04:52 PM
RE: Change modeling focus? - by jim currie - 02-09-2021, 08:18 PM
RE: Change modeling focus? - by doctorwayne - 02-10-2021, 12:18 AM
RE: Change modeling focus? - by ezdays - 02-10-2021, 07:39 AM
RE: Change modeling focus? - by Tyson Rayles - 02-10-2021, 09:49 AM
RE: Change modeling focus? - by Charlie B - 02-10-2021, 11:17 AM
RE: Change modeling focus? - by nachoman - 02-10-2021, 12:26 PM
RE: Change modeling focus? - by Mountain Man - 02-10-2021, 01:34 PM
RE: Change modeling focus? - by Mountain Man - 03-12-2021, 04:09 PM