Nachoman 2022 kitbash challenge
Yes, I know the challenge doesn't begin until March 1st - but thought I would make a thread so as to not forget what I am doing!

I picked up a Bachmann Plasticville coaling tower the other day at the LHS.  I remember these things being pretty cheap - but it looks like they have increased in price.  I haven't bought a structure kit in over 10 years, though, so maybe its just inflation.

The coaling tower tower I am going to kitbash into an ore bin for loading HOn3 cars an a tiny (3'x4') layout I am building.  Both Campbell and Grandt make great ore bin kits for not much more money, so I don't know why I am bothering with a kitbash of a Plasticville kit.  Maybe I am wanting something a bit more unique.  In any event here are a few basic goals I have with the kitbash:

1)  The kit has no molded in wood-grain.  I am going to try the razor-saw technique to add wood grain where I can.
2)  The upper portions (roof) of the coaling tower will not be needed.  Not sure what I can convert those parts to, or just leave them off.
3)  The whole thing is too tall - I need to trim the legs to make it fit on a hillside.  The chute is too long as well.
4)  My plan is for the ore bin to be loaded by mine-gauge railway, a headframe, or an aerial tramway.  I need to build this.
5)  The kit has no gates at the head of the chute, so I need to create this.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread
Nachoman 2022 kitbash challenge - by nachoman - 02-11-2022, 05:25 PM
RE: Nachoman 2022 kitbash challenge - by nachoman - 03-07-2022, 09:48 AM
RE: Nachoman 2022 kitbash challenge - by nachoman - 05-20-2022, 02:38 PM
RE: Nachoman 2022 kitbash challenge - by tompm - 05-20-2022, 04:44 PM
RE: Nachoman 2022 kitbash challenge - by ezdays - 05-23-2022, 08:10 AM
RE: Nachoman 2022 kitbash challenge - by ngauger - 05-30-2022, 05:30 PM