Oldies but Goodies
post 16

**** The A.C.Gilbert, American Flyier Hudson 4-6-4 ****
This locomotive was first made before World War 2 with a low voltage AC motor. It's drive is completely gear driven. The side rods are not used to transfer power. All axels are gear connected and once properly quartered, remaine so.
Here are some photos of this drive.
First the firemans side ( left ).

Photo # 1 : This is the original pre war AC drive. You can see the Plactic drive wheels with their side and main rods. The motor shaft sticking out the side with it's brush housinge forward and aft of the axel. also the AC field winding.

Photo # 2 : This is the engineers side ( right ). Here you see that this side also had plastic drive wheels. This is a very early use of plastic in toys. You have a good view of some of the gearing that drives this loco.

I want to add two more photos so i'll start another post to handel it.
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
post 17

Photo # 3 :
This photo shows the gearing from above.

Photo # 4 :
This the last photo, it clearly shows manufactures name cast on the frame.

Attached Files Image(s)

post 18

This is a photo of a complete but repainted second DC version of this locomotive. The only change from the original was the use of a pernament magnet instead of a field winding. It still has plastic drive wheels.

post 19

This is the third version, a DC locomotive with a vertical shaft motor. Another change is the smaller metal driver wheels. All of these wheels have white walls tires, very 1950'ish.

post 20

This is the forth and last version of the Hudson. In this version a smoke unit has been added and a Pittman style open frame motor powers it. The drivers are metal and return to a larger size.

Photo # 1 is # 443. This is the third different boiler. My #443 had bad drivers and I replaced them with Mantua pacific drivers. I am placeing another hudson photo so that the new drivers can be seen.

Photo # 2 Is #31005

35 I didn't know the NYC had a ''crescent limited''. 35

..sorry I just had to bust your chops..great shots.How about some old brass and cast Mantua.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
post 21

all in good time my son. all in good time.
frank

frank
post 22

Years ago the Associated Hobby Company AHC always use to advertise in MR and MRC with full page adds showing a lot of the trains then aviable. Fleischmann trains made it into their adds. This is one of them. I repainted it for the Pennsylvania Railroad. I don't know what type of locomotive it is. It has a nice die cast body. I think it is a German locomotive because of the DB centered on it's side. It is Pennsy now.
frank

Attached Files Image(s)

Boy....I'd kill for one of those AF Hudsons (white walls...)..!!! It'd go perfectly with my 0-8-0, also with white walls.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
    post 24

Here is the HObbyline FM H-10-44. It is made with the H Lowery designed body. It has the rear roof overhang. The rounder off battery box down to the side walkway. The front curved car-like radiator grill.

The first is is an undecorated one with the road name HObbyline

Here is the HObbyline FM H-10-44. It is made with the H Lowery designed body. It has the rear roof overhang. The rounder off battery box down to the side walkway. The front curved car-like radiator grill. All these things were removed from later versions of the H-10-44. All are factory painted models.
first is a HObbyline road named switcher.

The second is a Pennsylvania Railroad model.

The third is a Lehigh Valley railroad model. I have the body off to show the drive.

A fourth FM switcher Union Pacific was added when I acquired the set named "The Hill Topper' #425 a 1954 released set.

A fifth is The B&O.

A sixth is the C&O.

A seventh the ATSF is not an original painted one, but a copy I made to have until I can get an original one.

These would complete all the FM H12-44 released by HObbyline. To this, I added the CNJ and NYC road names which were not released by HObbyline but done by me.

Attached Files Image(s)

post 25

** Heres one for the oldies but goodies. The Marx 0-4-0t side tanker. This also came with a slope back switiching tender. It also was made in Santa fe. This loco was made for the toy train market . Both axels are gear driven. Their are no side rods, only main rods.

gotta love those side rods.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
post 27

The Marx F3a in Santa Fe. Warbonnet paint.

PS. See you next saturday at the show in East Rutherford NJ.
frank

post 28, HO train company, brass. PRR J1

HO Train Company, known as Hotco. Made this brass Pennsylvania Railroad Class J1sa. It has exposed sanding piping. This is how the Pennsy repaired the sanding system due to the sheet steel overlay. This is the only class J1 made in this way.
frank

post 29

HObbyline B&O FM H 10 44. This is the last factory decorated one of these I have. I repainted two others. One for CNJ and one for NYC. It is not exactly a clear photo but the box cars behind are clear and sharp.

[attachment=3577]