A Summer Structure Challenge in Three Parts
cnw1961 Wrote:Hey, I promise to make it as ugly and shabby as I can Goldth .
Promise?????? We're going to hold you to it. With me, that come naturally so me and Ed need all the edge we can get. 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I have a question for the scratch build portion,I can't find a picture of one of the structures I was thinking about modelling, but I did find a measured drawing In a Carstens book of loco structures. Can I use this in the contest?
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:I have a question for the scratch build portion,I can't find a picture of one of the structures I was thinking about modelling, but I did find a measured drawing In a Carstens book of loco structures. Can I use this in the contest?
Oh sure. The idea is to see how close you come to the original if you're makings a model of something that exists. You can even make something that's in your head and you don't have a picture or a sketch to copy from. Yeah, a measured drawing would be just fine.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Thanks Don. Thumbsup
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
What if I want to do a kit build but need to substitute details to be happy with it? For example I have an interlocking tower to build, but the handrails on the exterior steps are so grossly oversize that there is no way I would install them. Can I add wire railings? Or does that put me into the kitbash category?

Dave
-Dave
Puddlejumper Wrote:What if I want to do a kit build but need to substitute details to be happy with it? For example I have an interlocking tower to build, but the handrails on the exterior steps are so grossly oversize that there is no way I would install them. Can I add wire railings? Or does that put me into the kitbash category?

Dave
The idea of the kitbuild is to build it true to the plan, no substitutes. The only changes allowed are signage. I'm thinking kitbash, but only if you make some major changes,otherwise as the rules imply, you're in a kind of never-never land. You could, as the rules also state, go back and change out the rails after you complete the kit and present it in the challenge.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
That is kinda what I thought. I think I'll forgo the challenge then, and just do a write up instead.
Thumbsup

Dave
-Dave
can you scratchbuild out of wood?????

If you can errr if "I" can.... I'll be building this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/displayPhoto.pl?path=/pnp/habshaer/pa/pa1600/pa1650/photos&topImages=135641pr.jpg&topLinks=135641pv.jpg,135641pu.tif&title=7.%20%20EXTERIOR%20VIEW%20OF%20BALTIMORE%20FAN%20HOUSE,%20AIRWAY,%20AND%20HILLMAN%20FAN%20HOUSE%20LOOKING%20SOUTHEAST%20The%20roof%20of%20the%201908%20Baltimore%20Fan%20House%20is%20to%20the%20left;%20the%20doorway%20opens%20onto%20the%20rear%20of%20the%20metal%20fan%20housing.%20In%20the%20immediate%20foreground%20is%20a%20section%20of%20the%20blast%20doors%20installed%20in%20the%20airway%20directly%20over%20the%20shaft%20to%20protect%20the%20fans%20in%20case%20of%20a%20mine%20explosion.%20The%20sloping%20airway,%20to%20the%20right,%20connects%20with%20the%20New%20Fan%20House,%20whose%20metal%20updraft%20chimney%20is%20evident%20in%20the%20right%20background.%20The%20engine%20house%20of%20the%20Hillman%20Fan%20House%20is%20in%20the%20left%20background%20with%20the%20fan%20housing%20and%20updraft%20chimney%20connected.%20The%20boiler%20house%20stack%20is%20in%20the%20background.%20All%20of%20the%20engines%20in%20the%20fan%20complex%20were%20powered%20by%20the%20boiler%20house.%20%3Cbr%3EHAER%20PA,40-WILB,5-7&displayProfile=0">http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/displayPh ... yProfile=0</a><!-- m -->

For the MF&W..... Now, someone is going to have to verify what the heck I'm building here
The pic says Fan House ..... I'm guessing its a ventilation system for mines?????

I'm going to attempt to build the main "house" but if I can - I'm going to try for both Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I am just starting on a scratch build, count me in. I can use the prize money.

Mikey I would venture to say that may have been to circulate air in the Howard street tunnel under Baltimore in the steam era
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Lester Perry Wrote:I am just starting on a scratch build, count me in. I can use the prize money.

Mikey I would venture to say that may have been to circulate air in the Howard street tunnel under Baltimore in the steam era
Oh Cool!!! I never thought of that! Smile Smile I'll have to research that...
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Got ya on the list Les... Welcome This is turning into something neat. Lots of competition, which is really good. Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
How come I didn't see this before? Mebbe I've been spending too much time over at the layouts section... Goldth

Here comes another hat into the ring...

I had planned on scratching a little N&W station for another summer challenge way back when on that thar other forum, and want to build that little gem for the upcoming layout...BUT...since I want to kitbuild and have been scratching cardstock structures recently...

I'm in for kitbuilding! I have got a few too many kits in the boxes that are best built as-is.

AND, I recently received a fine selection of kitbashing fodder, so I'll go that route as well. That's kinder my first love anyway. Big Grin

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
ocalicreek Wrote:How come I didn't see this before? Mebbe I've been spending too much time over at the layouts section... Goldth

Here comes another hat into the ring...

I had planned on scratching a little N&W station for another summer challenge way back when on that thar other forum, and want to build that little gem for the upcoming layout...BUT...since I want to kitbuild and have been scratching cardstock structures recently...

I'm in for kitbuilding! I have got a few too many kits in the boxes that are best built as-is.

AND, I recently received a fine selection of kitbashing fodder, so I'll go that route as well. That's kinder my first love anyway. Big Grin

Galen
You're in and you're in... both... Glad you have you and good luck. Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
alright, i'm in on this one.

I'll be doing the Kitbuild (Magic Pan Bakery) and the Kitbash (building another, better, Amtrak E60MA)
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:alright, i'm in on this one.

I'll be doing the Kitbuild (Magic Pan Bakery) and the Kitbash (building another, better, Amtrak E60MA)
I'll put you in both, but remember, this is a structure challenge... I hope you E60MA doesn't have wheels and is used for some sort of shelter. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and