N Gauger's Scratchbuild '09 Summer Challenge
It has begun....... I put a few common objects int he pics so everyone can see how big a project this is ging to be Big Grin

The 12" ruler at the front and the quarter being held by the clamp at center.

if you look t teh backboard with the drawing on it. To the right are 3 vertical lines. At teh bottom of the lines is the horizontal line marking the floor. The "second level" holds the steam engine for the fan as well as the acess areas for the fan mounting and bearings.

The fan house could not be built at "Ground level" since the bottom of the fan is a "scale" 4 inches below the ground level. (about 6 ft) I bu8ilt the base with a/4" foam board and built "Corner braces" so i had something to give the building strength. The clamps are holding everyhting together until the glue dries.

I also had to build a work area out of 3/4" plywood. I have no place large enough to work on this thing Nope Eek Eek Eek

For those of you that want to show off your vaudeville talents..........

If this building was any larger......

I would have to get a building permit!!!

Any other ideas???? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
That's big.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
That building is so big........
(HOW BIG IS IT!)
.......It so big, it needs its own zip code.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
That is HUGE! If that's a 30cm ruler lying beside it, thate it probably needs more than one ZIP code lol.

Look forwasrd to more progress.
Tom (TC) - Creator of Extremely Miniature Layouts on Disks! See Them All, and More on My Website. Latest Update: Jan '10.
[Image: 200549bd0989263ef.png]
Boy, great start on a huge project, seems as if you've got more clamps though than Norm Abrams. Icon_lol

Gee, I wonder how that'll look in 160:1? Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:Boy, great start on a huge project, seems as if you've got more clamps though than Norm Abrams. Icon_lol

Gee, I wonder how that'll look in 160:1? Big Grin
I've been collecting those clamps whenever I get a deal on them Smile Smile For just such an emergency... Cheers

in 160:1 it would be a lot smaller Smile Smile Maybe 4 or 5 inches wide?? Eek
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

TCWORLD Wrote:That is HUGE! If that's a 30cm ruler lying beside it, thate it probably needs more than one ZIP code lol.

Look forwasrd to more progress.

The interesting part was the realization that i had no room large enough to build it... And also that I'm going to eventually re-design the layout (again) to accommodate it. Shoot

Awww welll... it's something (besides Big Blue) that keeps me out of trouble Nope Nope
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Setting up the "Ground" floor.....

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Looking toward the fan... The two "side halls" will be where the doors end up....

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Here's a view of the doors, with guardrail in front of them...

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Things I had to re-learn while building this uhh Building. Big Grin

~~ The floor will catch anything you drop.... It's just that anything you drop WILL run under the workbench to hide from you

~~ The shop light is WAY too low Shoot so always try to lower the 30" tall foamboard..... Wallbang

~~ The tool you need is always "just out of reach" Nope Nope Nope

~~ I never measure twice and cut once!! I measure 4 or 5 times and start to cut, then measure again and still cut it "close" Misngth

~~ White Glue will get everywhere if given the chance... So always be wary of touching hands to clothing 35 35

~~ Be sure hands are clean when you pick up a tool.. That's what the rags are for!!! 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

~~ If the rag is dry - wet it - you know you'll need it to clean up the excess glue!!!!! Shoot

~~ Brick paper in G is "HOW MUCH"????? Eek Eek Eek Eek Eek
I'll need about 30 sq. ft. Eek 35 Wallbang 35 Eek
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

You forgot one...
Parts only stick to the fingers with the super glue on them.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:You forgot one...
Parts only stick to the fingers with the super glue on them.

ROFL --- I'll try that next time I'm working on it!!! Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

You know, I have this brick material...I think it's actually brick! It came from a dollhouse builder's excess supply I picked up somewhere as scratchbuilding material. The bricks were actually adhered to a cloth webbing that could be cut with scissors. Once glued in place, all a person need do is add some sort of mortar. I think actual mortar or perhaps tile grout would work.

Anyway, I'm not at home so I can't post any pictures of these little bricks, but they're neat. I pulled them off the backing and have them in a jar. Size is about 1 cm x 1/2 cm x 2mm thick or so. If scored and broken, a relatively realistic SCALE HO brick can be made...there's a detailing project waiting to happen!

All that to say, if you haven't purchased any large-scale brick material yet, consider thinking way outside the box for a cheaper alternative.

Looking good...exciting to see something with so much potential. Thanks for all the lessons learned as well.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Speaking of tiny bricks......Back in the days of cars with "spaceship" fins on 'em, one of my brothers got a "kit" made up of exactly that....tiny bricks....It came with doors, windows, roofing materials, and a powdered mortar-like material. Also several plans of buildings you could build. Of course, one of the buildings in the plans was for a RR depot, which was the first thing we built, to go with the AF train set..... Goldth
If you wanted to build something else, all you had to do was soak the parts in water, and the bricks would come apart...

Sadly, the only thing that survived is a little window casting, measures about an inch per side.... Nope
Gus (LC&P).