CNW1961's Scratchbuild '09 Summer Challenge
Got me.....!!! It's a brand new van, so plates are not on yet....

Ed....You (we..?) join for 2 reasons (I think..) One, to have fun for its own sake...And, two...To bust our butts trying to reach the likes of Kurt & others...It's not the end result that really matters...It's the getting there that counts... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Who knew a 'brick' could be so dadgum interesting! (Hey, it's pinkish red, rectangular...it's a brick!) But a very cool brick indeed. It's not just the detail that makes it, it's your overall treatment - weathering, scenery, etc. that just works so well.

You continue to be an inspiration to me and so many others. Keep on doing what you do so well!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Cheers

As usual, Kurt, absolutely superb. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
The weeds growing on the fence are a cool touch. Nice work.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Thank you all for your kind comments. Sorry for not responding to your posts earlier, but the last few days have been quite busy. The challenge is still running a few more days, but it is over for me now. Tomorrow we’ll be going on a holiday trip to Greece. So no modeling for me the next 3 1/2 weeks, but sun, sand, sea, souvlaki and mountain biking instead. The shoe box (Galen, it is not a brick! A brick is solid, you can’t put anything into it! Goldth ) .... I mean, the Ornamental Supply is almost finished. I will only add a few more details to the scene later. Here is a last pic for the challenge.

[Image: challenge39.jpg]
Kurt
Absolutely stunning modeling work Kurt Eek Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
What did you use for that fence? Tulle (however you spell it, sounds like tool)? How did you do the vines growing up it?
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->
Thank you Josh:

Steven, yes, i used tulle. I made a frame from .040" and .032" brass wires that I soldered together and then i glued the tulle to that frame with super glue (the only glue I could find to do the job). To glue the tulle to the brass frame, I lay the tulle on a sheet of glass, taking care that there are no folds, then I apply super glue to my brass frame (only two sections at a time) and carefully place the frame on the tulle and hold it down for a few seconds. Super glue does not stick well to glass, so I can remove my fence without any problems. After the tulle is glued to the frame, I put the fence on my cutting mat and using a new blade for my scalpel, I cut the tulle along the outside of the frame.

The vines climbing the fence were done with Noch Classic Foliage light green (#7312). I think similar products are Woodland Scenics Foliage #F51 and Heki #1550 or #1600. These are simply fine poly fiber mats covered with fine foam on one side. You can easily stretch pieces until they have the right shape and density and then glue them on. I used super glue to glue them to my fence.
Kurt