Walther's Red Wing Mill
[Image: 933-3026.JPG]

I'm using the Walther's Red Wing Mill (N scale) as the basis for a GERN facility on my new layout. I'm having trouble deciding what material this building would be constructed out of, had there been a prototype. My gut tells me poured concrete walls, but I'm not entirely sure. Most images I've seen of the structure show it in either a white or primer grey color, which is what I elected to paint it...but it's just not sitting right with me. Any opinions on this?

On top of that, I don't recall weathering a structure like this before. Most of my previous experience has been with brick or stone buildings, so I'm not sure how to go about applying a convincing layer of weathering on it. Suggestions?
Tony
Here's what I did to Western Shipping - a very similar building.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=354&start=0&hilit=western+shipping">viewtopic.php?f=24&t=354&start=0&hilit=western+shipping</a><!-- l -->

For weathering, I really only concentrated on the bottom, where dirt from rain splash would hit the building. I Very lightly drybrushed a black/grey over much of the building to tone it down a little, but did not concentrate on anything specific, giving the appearance (I hope) of a recently refurbished building. It was constructed as a background building for a friend's layout and these were his instructions. Had it been mine, I think it would have undergone a little more weathering.

For the record, I believe that the building is either all concrete, or is brick "curtain" between a concrete and steel frame.

Andrew
I think Andrew is right. There might be plaster over the brick, giving it a straight concrete look.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:I think Andrew is right. There might be plaster over the brick, giving it a straight concrete look.

I guess I took the easy way out - with the "stucco" over whatever is underneath, there's no need to actually decide what it's supposed to be...! Wink Big Grin

Andrew
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess my line of thinking wasn't too far off after all. I'm also considering a more drastic weathering for this building, something like this:

[Image: watertower-hastings_flour_mill.jpg]

This would involve painting a lighter 2nd coat of paint, and then stripping part of it away. I could be interesting, but I'm not too sure if I want it to look this run down and beat up.

I did opt to use spray paint, and painted the walls from a considerable distance in several light coats. This "dusting" method gives the walls some texture, which closely resembles concrete or stucco. Though I'm not sure if the texture will hold up against harsh weathering.
Tony
The red wing mill looks just like the Stahl Soap building In Hoboken NJ. That could make an interesting bash. The co. just shut it's doors after at least 40 years (that I know of) of business. So if you want to give it a try get there fast it's about to become condos. It's at the north end of town near a gas station.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Who needs to get there when there's Google Maps?

[Image: stahl-soap.png]

Yeah, it does similar to the Red Wing Mill. Nice tip, thank you...I'll use this image as weathering inspiration.

Thumbsup
Tony
That's the place ,great find. I spent a lot of time in that building. If you have an aerial shot you can see where the loading dock for rail cars is, it's on the other side of the truck dock. There are also some large tanks on the west side of the plant. In the section of the building to the right of the pic are the tanks where I got the Idea for my diesel tanks (my new project thread).
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew