Prototype modeling - how far can you take it?
MountainMan Wrote:As I have stated before, I don't post any of my modeling work here, because I don't believe this to be the kind of forum that is receptive to non-standard ideas.

What is a "non-standard" idea?
Galvanized steel studs, instead of wood for bench work? Carbon fiber sheets instead of plywood for base? Spray on insulation for landforms? Scratch Building structures out of candy wrappers?
There you're jumping to conclusions as no one would be receptive to non standard idea. How do you know unless you post them? Your "Non-standard" idea, might be some new and easier process for building bench work, painting rolling stock, operating a train. Folks here I think would say "Hey!..That's a good idea. I think I'll try that!".
Keeping new ideas and techniques to yourself, is awful selfish. Model railroaders, well most, enjoy sharing their ideas to others. That "non-standard" idea you have, and refuse to post, might help a struggling modeller improve his skill, and might make him enjoy the hobby more.

If there is a forum, that wraps its arms around "non-standard ideas", why don't you post a link to that forum showing your work using those ideas and techniques. I think folks here are interested in what ideas you have, and which ones worked to your advantage, with outstanding results. It might just inspire someone to give it a try.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Yup. Cheers

Here's a "non-standard" idea I posted back in 2006, my aluminum benchwork project. You don't get much more non-standard than that!

Disclaimer: My apologies for linking back to the Zealot forums. Confusedhock:
Tony
MountainMan wrote:As I have stated before, I don't post any of my modeling work here, because I don't believe this to be the kind of forum that is receptive to non-standard ideas.
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post pictures of your work its no bodies fault but yours..Try it and see..I have no doubts you will be happy with the end results.

"non-standard ideas."

Are you referring to my modeling since I set my own standards? 357
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
How far can you take it?

I think that depends on alot of seperate factors.

1. The modelers drive. If they are looking for prototype fidelity, and are driven to attain it, then the other factors come into play.

2. Space. We all know that concessions need to be made for this, i.e. Selective compression. Space is almost always a serious limitation. If we had our own "Dream Train Room", I would wager that most folks would want more space.

3. Skill level. There seems to be a certain graduation level. From the 4x8 to the shelf layout to the multi level mushroom layout. Everyone starts at a certain point, and they develop skills as they go.

4. Money. In addition to more space, I bet we would all like more money we can devote to our modeling efforts. If you have the money, then you can get the space, and pretty much any other item we could wish for. With enough money, even skill can be overlooked. There are enough companies out there that would be happy to build a layout for anyone with the means. (That is another discussion all together though).

This is an extremely subjective concept. We all have our own level of "Close Enough". Some of us want to model every last detail, and that is fine. Some of us have no problem running "Shake the Box" rolling stock, and generic locomotives. That is fine as well. We all love this hobby, and we all have a different approach to how it should be done, to suit our own needs. As for the people who want to pick apart the work of others, and I am not talking about anyone here, they can pound sand.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
"If it suits you, and you're happy, why not show it?"
"If someone makes a bad comment try not to "blow it."
"If you dislike someone's work"
"There's no need to call them "jerk"
"Just be happy you're not standing face-to-face."

Misngth Big Grin Goldth Icon_lol
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
You're right, Carl. Goldth It's unfortunate that the relative anonymity afforded by the internet causes many people to forget their usual manners (there's no accounting for those who are rude in person, though Shoot ). I've always felt like I'm among friends here, and I would hope that the rest of the Membership feels the same. Even if someone requests criticism of their work, most of us have the common sense to limit our remarks to the topic at hand and most will offer suggestions for possible improvements.

A bonus of electronic communication is the ability to reply rapidly. The part of that that's often overlooked is the ability to re-read what we've written (perhaps in haste, under some outside stress, or in anger) before hitting the "SEND" button. I've let a couple of "quick" replies sit overnight before sending them, usually revised, and have sometimes deleted them completely. We all have our own ways of modelling and our own ways of expressing ourselves, but the latter should always be done with civility - the same, I would hope, as if we were to meet in person.

Wayne