An experiment in rust.
Triplex Wrote:The green one looks too much like mud. You're not just going to get an even coating like that. Rust causes pitting, and usually in clusters.
OK We need pitting. Perhaps I have an answer for that. this hood was sanded on one side--- put in ferric-chloride a few minutes to see if it would eat it up like it does copper & aluminum --- it does ,not as fast but enough.
After soaking a bit I resanded the pitted side & sanded the still painted side for a comparison. Take a look at the results.
I think after adding some paint they should look convincing?

Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
OK , I have worked on the chevy a bit more --- not sure i improved it?

I did make a nice hood ornament for it. -----a needle with red cellaphane thru the eye.

Then --- the rust progress.

OOOOOOOPPPS!! ran up smack against the 3 limit! Nope

I'm not sure if I like it --I may strip it off & start over.

If you are wondering --- the other side is not worked on at all, I'm planning on "T boning" it -----so no point in painting before it encounters a Mack truck!!
I like what your trying to do , but wouldn't the green paint be quite faded under all that rust?

Bruce
bdw9535 Wrote:I like what your trying to do , but wouldn't the green paint be quite faded under all that rust? Cheers

Bruce

Well, either I learn how to fade paint OR when it's all done just tell everybody that the green was A LOT BRIGHTER BEFORE it faded. 2296_
Ok , I have been working on the Rusted-Busted Chev again -- not done -- but take a look.

[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->chevy rust 010.jpg[/attachment ]

Attached Files Image(s)

Dave, I could live with that sitting in a junkyard on my layout. Although this car is almost entirely rust, the suggestion of fading the paint first is a good one. This can be done with washes - craft paint thinned with alcohol or windex will work. Probably a good idea to sand the paint a bit first, or maybe some dullcote on it.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
About the only green left is the piece on the window frame & it will be gone soon.
Here is another view of the other side --- with a mangled fender.

Dave, I was talking about some of the other vehicles in this thread. Or anything else that you want to moderately rust up instead of doing the whole thing. You could even take a brass or steel brush and gouge and scratch up and scratch off the factory "shiny". Just some thoughts for experimentation.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times