Powered Cabooses
This topic once came up on railroad.net, and someone mentioned that there was a real powered caboose - electric, no less. No explanation of why anyone would build such a thing.
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!
This caboose has 2 poles, one for each direction of travel, but they were used to provide interior lights and to run the coffee pot IIRC.

Interesting. Would anyone care to venture a guess as to the time of reference for the picture?
Mid to late 1930's
Of course, someone taking a quick look at this box motor might mistake it for a caboose.

This is a Norfolk Southern (the FIRST Norfolk Southern) locomotive and they had more than one of them.
I checked through my Pacific Electric photos and can't find one of a caboose with a pole. However I did find a couple photos of diesels that had poles installed on insulated platforms to operate the crossing signal system contactors that were on the trolley wire.
BTW, I don't recall Lionel ever making a powered caboose although some of the older electric locomotives could be mistaken for a caboose if they aren't familiar with prototype electric loco's.