CF&E Action/Short Line Action.
Ed,That was interesting reading and I checked out the power plant by using Bing maps and like what I saw..The kraft mill from Walther's Superior Paper kit would make a good small city municipal power plant-far better then Walther's Northern Power and Light kit.

Thanks for providing the links.

While reading those linked to articles I recalled MR doing a "A Railroad You Can Model" article on this Walbash/N&W branch several years ago..I found it interesting then and still do.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:While reading those linked to articles I recalled MR doing a "A Railroad You Can Model" article on this Walbash/N&W branch several years ago..I found it interesting then and still do.
Larry;

You have a way of bringing back the memories! Somewhere around here in my piles of junk, I have one of the Kalmbach "Railroads you can model" books that includes the article about modeling the line when it was still the Wabash branch. Will have to look for it. It was one of the better, if not best, modeling concepts of the time - model areas of the railroad (I think they have coined that LDE's now) then tie those sections together how ever you like.

I agree that the Walther's Superior Paper kit would make a great municipal power plant like the one in Columbia. Most of the other structures in Columbia would be pretty easy to scratch build from styrene. A reasonable representation of the MFA elevator/feed mill could be kit-bashed from a Walthers kit too.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Here are a few more shots of short line locomotives
Found this former Carolina & Northwestern Railway CF-7 in Connersville, IN (Note that it has been hastily relettered JTPX) Love those CF-7's!    
Evansville & Western GP38-3 at Mount Vernon, IN    
Hardin Southern SW-1 (former J&J Railroad) at Hardin, KY    
Indian Creek Railroad RS-11 at Frankton, IN    
Madison Railroad (City of Madison Port Authority) GP-10 at North Vernon, IN    
That's about it until I can find the time to scan some slides...
Ed
While trying to find out more about that little 40T Davenport I ran across this...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel97.html">http://www.northeast.railfan.net/diesel97.html</a><!-- m -->

Check it out....They look like Thomas' buddies... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
The Maumee & Western made a rare Saturday move this weekend. They pulled a string of storage cars to Napoleon and spotted them just west of the Route 24 grade crossing:

[Image: 4961366337_8c318e9cd2_z.jpg]
Taking a wild guess base on the high boxcar behind the 16 I would say those must have been autopart boxcars.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Here are a couple of shots of equipment on the Squaw Creek Southern Railroad at Yankeetown, IN from August 20th 2010.

The SCS operates the former Yankeetown Dock Corp facility at Yankeetown and the former Squaw Creek Coal facilities at Boonville, IN. Indiana Southern delivers the loads to Yankeetown in former Yankeetown Dock gons (YDCX) and SCS dumps them at their facility. SCS also handles loads of ammonium nitrate and fuel oil for mixing into ANFO for the mines in the area. Several new mines have opened in this part of Indiana over the past couple of years. The new Red Brush mine is under construction at Yankeetown, right next to the NS/ISRR/SCS main line.

Here is ISRR 4040 sitting in the yard at Yankeetown     Meanwhile SCS 20 the former YDC 20 SD38-2 is working the dumper     Having finished unloading a cut of gons, SCS 20 has pulled the empties into the yard and is heading back to the south end to work another cut     At the shops, SCS 11 SDP-38 is taking it easy today. Behind her is the former AWW 203 SD-9. Also on the property is YDC 21 SD38-2 still in YDC paint, but couldn't get a decent shot of her    
Ed
The variety in your photos is amazing! Keep the photos coming.

How do you find all these shortlines?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:How do you find all these shortlines?

He lives near Indiana. :mrgreen:
FCIN Wrote:... This GP-9 is located at a grain elevator in Carrollton, Missouri along the former ATSF main line to Kansas City. Interesting paint scheme - not sure who the original owner may have been ...
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

That Geep looks vaguely like it may have been a DL&W or an Erie-Lackawanna unit, but I may be mistaken.

Couldn't figure out how to get that photo, "MidWest201.jpg" to come up ... :? Nope
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Back to the original intent of the thread, switching in the Chicago, Fort Wayne & Eastern Cole Street Yard in Lima, Ohio:

[Image: 4982955452_e27d47b8e3_b.jpg]
IORY4036StreetLima8-15-10 by railohio, on Flickr

[Image: 4982956400_62a9fa7fd4_b.jpg]
IORY4036SwitchLima8-15-10 by railohio, on Flickr

[Image: 4982956072_6365d65122_b.jpg]
IORY4036YardLima8-15-10 by railohio, on Flickr
railohio Wrote:

He lives near Indiana. :mrgreen:

Pretty close. I live in central Kentucky. Nothing unusual for me to take off and cover several hundred miles looking for unique stuff. I frequent Indiana since there were and continue to be a lot of interesting short line/regional railroads in the state.

Things around Kentucky are pretty slim so I go where the interesting stuff is... Have family in Missouri so whenever I go out that way, I check out what is in that area. Need to get photos of a new short line out there, the Ozark Valley next trip.
Ed
Down here in Houston, we have UP and BNSF, and one shortline from the Port Authority. I get to see a variety of locos, but all from the big boys, CSX, NS, and occasionally KCS and FerroMex and even a CN loco every once in awhile. I do enjoy seeing all the small road photos.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
railohio Wrote:[Image: 4982956072_6365d65122_b.jpg]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/railohio/4982956072/]

Holy, look at the wavy rail in that yard ladder. Icon_lol I love it!

Gary,Shortlines are every where and the out number the major railroads!

Lucius Beebe once stated a shortline is such a down home thing.

I couldn't agree more!
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry