CF&E Action/Short Line Action.
Maumee & Western:

[Image: 4662296528_a269b8d682_b.jpg]

[Image: 4661677265_a01d41b430_b.jpg]

[Image: 4602358916_1eb43179a3_o.jpg]

[Image: 4601740355_33ef5a04bc_o.jpg]

[Image: 4601741233_6006280af4_b.jpg]
Great photos! I hope this thread continues. What loco is that in the last pic? It looks like a CF7 from the front view, but I seem to remember from another thread about a SF mod to a GP9 or something? Also, notice the wood shims by the nose. For rerailing?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
That trackwork makes my spine tingle.... Goldth
Good job bringing those little known RR's to light..... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Gary S Wrote:Also, notice the wood shims by the nose. For rerailing?

Gary, those wedges are for carspotting, used as wheel chocks to keep the car from rolling away, even if the handbrake is released. They're a common detail that's seldom modelled.

Wayne
Thanks for the info DocWayne. After seeing that rerailing video awhile back, where they used wood blocking to get the loco back on the rails, I was just wondering.
Gary S Wrote:Great photos! I hope this thread continues. What loco is that in the last pic? It looks like a CF7 from the front view, but I seem to remember from another thread about a SF mod to a GP9 or something? Also, notice the wood shims by the nose. For rerailing?

Gary, that one looks to be a Gp-7 with the "Topeka" cab. It lacks the deep "fish belly " frames of the CF-7. I can never remember the exact difference between the louvers on the battery boxes of the Gp-9 vs Gp-9, but if I remember correctly, the SF Gp-7's all had the tubular "pipe" stanchions whereas the Gp-9's all had the later style stamped stanchions.
Thanks Russ. Even though I'm not much on loco identifiaction, I can tell you that i really like those SF yellowbonnets!
railohio Wrote:Maumee & Western:

[Image: 4602358916_1eb43179a3_o.jpg]

Can no one tell me what that structure is back there on the left? I'll assume it's storage of some sort, but it's an intriguing structure and I'd just like to know what it is. I'm a curious kind of guy ... I ask lots of questions. :mrgreen:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
More Indiana & Ohio action around Delta, Ohio:

[Image: 4712385710_e028dba2d2.jpg]

[Image: 4712386210_fe47b5851e.jpg]

[Image: 4712386686_48292de976.jpg]
I really love those short lines!

I gotta get off my fat behind and go visit Maumee & Western..

I had forgotten about this topic till I seen RailOhio's name and notice the date.. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
P5se Camelback Wrote:Can no one tell me what that structure is back there on the left? I'll assume it's storage of some sort, but it's an intriguing structure and I'd just like to know what it is. I'm a curious kind of guy ... I ask lots of questions. :mrgreen:

They could be coal storage silos. They look very similar to these in Pine Plains NY, along the New Haven's old Maybrook line.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nh/nh-coal-silo-ava.jpg">http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nh/nh-coal-silo-ava.jpg</a><!-- m -->
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
P5se Camelback Wrote:Can no one tell me what that structure is back there on the left? I'll assume it's storage of some sort, but it's an intriguing structure and I'd just like to know what it is. I'm a curious kind of guy ... I ask lots of questions. :mrgreen:

Don't know how I missed this question. I believe it was a coal dealer. It hasn't been in operation at any point in my lifetime.
Thanks 88 and Rail-O ...

I kinda figured that it was some sort of coal dealer (which probably wouldn't have been in operation in your memorable lifetime) but I was at a loss for how those silos might have been loaded ... certainly not by bucket and pulley, but there was no super-structure for unloading hoppers from above. Maybe skip bucket up the side like a big Coaling "Chute" ("tower" to us model guys) at a locomotive servicing facility?
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I'm guess....Yep..Just a guess... That the structure on my picture, houses all the machinery nessasary for loading and sorting the coal in the silos. It could have been removed from railohio's picture, either naturally, or on purpose. In railohio's picture you can still see the steel framework, and some pulleys.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
More Maumee & Western at Defiance, Ohio:

[Image: 4800270320_3eb3ecb082.jpg]

[Image: 4800269534_0ec5f076c9.jpg]

[Image: 4799637671_cbfd3f68ba.jpg]

[Image: 4799637201_54b8a6417f.jpg]

[Image: 4800268862_d90b737d9b.jpg]