Scratchbuilt Z scale 70' Woodchip gon
Quote:Since you plan on making more than one, wouldn't it be worth your time to make a master for molds & castings?

Galen, it would require four molds and a initial outlay of $70.00 to get started in casting these and the coal porters I am also planning.I can scratch build the 56 bodies for around $30.00 .

The biggest expence in this project will be the trucks at $6.50 a pair (MSRP) times a total of 56.I am in no big rush as I have till March of 2010 for the eight woodchip gondolas and September 2010 for the 48 coal porters.

I am hoping to double the size of my layout by March and will definately have it done (runable) by September. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt Wrote:
Quote:I am hoping to double the size of my layout by March and will definately have it done (runable) by September. :mrgreen:

So does that mean you won't be able fit into a brief case anymore? (ducks for cover) Confusedhock: 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

I keed, I keed! Icon_lol
Very nice work, Catt. I suppose that you plan on hand-lettering this fleet of cars, too? Icon_lol Icon_lol

Wayne
"IF" I can find usable pictures of the covers used on these cars I am concidering lettering them "GERN" but so far no luck finding any pics.

For the hand lettering I will be using #000000000 Real Blonde and #000000000000000 Real Blonde brushes for the end reporting marks. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
I used to have a Z layout...then I sneezed Big Grin

Nice work... Thumbsup
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Quote:Galen, it would require four molds and a initial outlay of $70.00 to get started in casting these and the coal porters I am also planning.I can scratch build the 56 bodies for around $30.00 .

The biggest expence in this project will be the trucks at $6.50 a pair (MSRP) times a total of 56.I am in no big rush as I have till March of 2010 for the eight woodchip gondolas and September 2010 for the 48 coal porters.

If the finished product is desirable among other Z scale modelers, then you could recoup the cost for casting materials and finance the purchase of trucks by selling additional models. From the first look at your progress, I'd say that could be a very promising venture.

Casting really can be a timesaver...think of all that you could be doing in the time you save waiting for resin to cure vs. building each car by hand. PLUS, if you take the master model to the next level you can add detail ONCE that might not make it onto each hand-built model afterwards. Even if you make just one subassembly into a master/mold, then multiply the time saved remaking that by the number you need. It adds up quickly.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Thumbsup

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!