Honesty over praise, please!
This is my first serious attempt at weathering. It's an old Campbell oil tank. I sprayed the tank with some cheapie silver aluminum spary paint from W-mart and painted the legs with aged concrete. Then I used some reefer orange for the rust and tried to put some charcoal on the tank. Didn't stick very well so I gave it a coat of PolyScale dust and tried again.

Please let me know your thoughts. As mentioned in the title, I would much prefer honesty.

[Image: IMG_4218a.JPG]

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Are you using it as an oil tank or a water tank? If an oil tank, you need some oil spills. If using as a water tank - it looks great to me - i can't think of anything specific that would make it look better.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
That is a great first attempt...honest. Thumbsup

The big thing in most weathering is to remember the flow of water, vertical streaking starting wider at the top and narrowing towards the bottom covers everything from dust wash off to rust break through to fading lettering.

A tip for the chalks is to give it a light coat of flat first. This gives the work tooth for the chalk to set in. Chalks also tend to disappear once Dul Coted, so you'll want to go a little overboard for the proper effect.

You're well on your way---getting past the fear is the big step. After that it's mostly patience and an eye for detail in the real world. Well done... Thumbsup
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:Are you using it as an oil tank or a water tank? If an oil tank, you need some oil spills. If using as a water tank - it looks great to me - i can't think of anything specific that would make it look better.

Cheers with Nachoman's evaluation. Nice work!
-Dave
I think it looks good but if you want some suggestions maybe a little rust along the rivet seams?
Ralph
Honestly?......
...Looks good!
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
First off...nicely done. The only suggestions I'd make are: add weeds or tall grass under the tank, some oil spills down the side and underneath the tank, and maybe some signage on the sides (something like No Smoking or the servicing oil company) faded by time and sun, and darken the wood supports to show age and neglect. I guess these suggestions are more personal preference rather than critique, so please, disregard those you don't need or like.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Overall, it looks good. Congrats on your first weathering attmept.

My opinion: I like the center panel of the tank alot. That big black streak on the left side could be toned down a bit. I agree with Ralph's suggestion of some rust right on the seams of the panels, probably done with paint so you can keep the rust right on the seams.

Keep up the good work.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Thanks for all the comments, everyone. It is greatly appreciated. Some excellent advice has been provided along with some good tips.

On a side note, the tank was placed there for the pic only. It (and its twin) will be relocated to the oil distributor after some touch up.

Thanks again, everyone.

Tom

Thought you might like to see the (almost) end result. I have put the tanks at the oil distributor and done some of the ground cover. I still need to add some more weeds and run the piping but here's where they'll be.

[Image: IMG_4222a.JPG]

Thanks again everyone for your help on this.

Tom

Perfect fit. I like it.
Reinhard
Nice, very nice. Doesn't it need stairs or a ladder for servicing?
-norm
tv_man Wrote:Nice, very nice. Doesn't it need stairs or a ladder for servicing?
Good idea. I may just get lazy and lean a ladder up against one of the tanks. 357

Thanks for the idea.

Tom

Nice job for your first attempt! Cheers

If these are oil tanks, I'd tone down the rust a little bit, since oil tanks tend to get coated with a thin film of the stuff, and it so they rust more slowly than if they held water or something.

I think you'd probably see a circle of oil around the dome on the top of the tank, with a run down each side from there.

Also, I think oil would collect around the top of the supports and run down them somewhere too.