WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Wow Gary, I am looking forward to the outside detail construction on this one. I know you can do it....I'm impressed. Merry Christmas.
Charlie
Thank you Charlie. A Merry Christmas to you too, and to everyone else at Big Blue.

Been spending my few days off on the new project. Good progress has been made.

Gary, you always under rate things, that isn't good progress, that is great progress.
Happy New Year.
Charlie
Cheers That is an amazing structure.
Holy Cow,

Gary now that is an impressive build!!

I really like the complexity of the strucutre and again your ability to use simple materials, shapes ans pieces to create a real masterpiece. I always love your choice in colors and the way you are able to find the appropriate textures to recreate what you find in the 1:1 world.

Keep us posted on your progress!!

Merry Christmas!!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
As already said ... WOW Eek

You are making amazing progress on the structure Gary! It is a seriously complex prototype, but you are capturing it perfectly Thumbsup

Merry Christmas to you and yours too.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Gary that structure looks great! Keep the updates and pictures coming!

-James
Thanks for all the nice replies.

A lot of thought went into the decision to reproduce this industry. The towers are a daunting task, but a reasonable construction method occurred to me - which prompted a "yes, this can be done".

The actual supporting structure of the model towers is 8-32 all thread rod and 1/16th inch thick aluminum plate. The I-beams and H-columns will be strictly cosmetic on the outside. The all-thread rod will be hidden inside pipes, ducts, elevators, and machinery. The aluminum plate floors will be painted to match the concrete floors of the real towers. Each level of the tower will be outfitted with industrial apparatus to pseudo-mimic the real thing. Each level will have to be completed before the next level can be placed on top. Should be fun!

Photos of the real thing:

Test fitting of the model pieces:

Gary, that is brilliant, and it will make a real sturdy structure. I wish I had thought of that for the little outside stairs I built for the grain silos (which are not finished yet).
Charlie
Gary,

I am always awed by how you can take a picture of something and turn it into an amazing model. The framework alone is a fantastic build. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Bruce
very nice Gary! What is also great to see is that you have a nice spacious enough area to work on a model and leave it there to 'dry' etc, without having to clear things up.
I do not have that, and this results in me having to work at the kitchen table. As such that is not an issue, but it means I cannot undertake big projects, as it constantly needs to be cleared up after I'm done for the day etc.
The alternative is not having a layout, but a work space instead... (Under the layout is not an option, that is all storage area).

Have a great new year!

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Torikoos, I used to use the kitchen table for a work space. Quickly grew tired of having to clean up every evening as you mention, but you gotta do what you gotta do to have a layout! Smile

I converted my "library" into my workroom. It is about 8 feet by 12 feet with book shelves on the two long sides. My workspace is a countertop on one end. I just recently added another shelf in front of the window between two bookcases (what you see in the first pic on this page). This shelf was added specifically for building this structure!

Happy new year!!!!
Looks real good there Gary... Thumbsup

I was thinking along the same lines as your 8/32 rod for another project of my own.    
It's the per-heat tower for a cement plant that I've been gathering info on for a future build. Silly electricians all think the same. Good luck with it and can't wait to see more.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Holy cow E-Paw! That looks WAY more complicated than the coffee towers. Most of the equipment in the coffee towers is hidden in shadow, so I can take shortcuts on detailing and paint. The concrete tower has everything out in the open. But, with your skills, I am sure you can do a fantastic job on it.

The aluminum plate I'm using for the floors is actually door "kick plates" that can be purchased from Home Depot. The all-thread rod is working nicely too.

Now, I can't believe how long this is taking.... seems like a loooooong loooooong way to go....

Your building technique with a very solid kernel made of wood (and metal in this case) and most visible parts being cover and decoration only pays off for a complex model like this. I admit I did not fully understand your point when you built the little bank building with a very solid wood kernel but this model demonstrates the advantages of your unique technique very well.
The building is very well known because it is a frequent background on photos taken at the small Milby St shops http://www.railpixs.com/hbt/HBTshops_Houston_July77.jpg I dreamed to do a model when I played around with the HBT but never had any idea how to do it.
Your model is outstanding Thumbsup
Reinhard