Grimy Black
Some time ago I tried a wash based an PollyS grimy black instead of pure (engine) black. It was my intention to find a softer darkener in the same sense as we use light gray instead of white for a mortal wash on brick walls.
The effect was a surprise. It look like PollyS mixes grimy black from black and some kind of light gray. If that is used in a wash the light gray dominates the black. It looks like a wash with dust. As I mix the wash with alcohol and distilled water all shine is destroyed and the surface is very flat. The object does not look really dirty but used. The color looks bleached but not darkened. It is a nice alternative for a black wash.

[Image: IMGP4030.JPG]

The above example shows the direction. In real is the weathering effect stronger but my photo skill is to low to get that details.
The trucks got a deluded mix of brown and black. They look more dirty than on the photo.
Reinhard
Reinhard-nice job.Very subtle.You may want to add some rust to the trucks.
I use a similar method for my washes except i use straight black acrylic thinned with just water and once applied I with it down with a paper towel until I get the effect I want.
Bob
I'm glad to see you weathering some of your locomotives. I haven't gotten up the nerve to do any of mine yet. So.... you take the lead and give us plenty of "how to" photos and explanations so I have a guide to do mine!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:...so I have a guide to do mine!
I do recommend to do so! I am not experienced or successful with weathering at all.
I did post this one because I was so astound of the effect I got some time ago on a boxcar from a wash with grimy black. I expected some dark gray close to black but I got some kind of dust. That was the right effect for the FCEN engines as they are generally in very good condition. No mud and only very little rust at the pilot.
After that wash it is time for some more sophisticated weathering of the masters Sad

Update: They (in this case FMID) have engines that deserve serious weathering http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=279347&nseq=5
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:it is time for some more sophisticated weathering of the masters Sad

Like I said, you go first and I'll follow your lead! Big Grin
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
What you guys think would be a good wash mix to weather/lighten/dull-down black locomotives? Such as steamers and-or the NYC paint scheme? I didn't want to try anything yet until I am pretty positive with how the results would come out... thanks

Matt