Charlie b's layout
Will_Annand Wrote:Coming along at light speed Charlie, you will be inside before you know it.
I'm anxious, but I know a little work now will save a lot of work later. I'm really ready to run some trains.....
Charlie
Alright Charlie B! Thumbsup The roof looks very good.

How will you be getting the electrical wiring to the building? Underground or overhead?

Charlie B Wrote:I'm really ready to run some trains....

I hate to break this to ya, but it will be at least a few days before you are running trains! Wink
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
It looks a little lopsided... Confusedhock:

KIDDING!!!

Icon_lol
Gary S Wrote:Alright Charlie B! Thumbsup The roof looks very good.

How will you be getting the electrical wiring to the building? Underground or overhead?

Charlie B Wrote:I'm really ready to run some trains....

I hate to break this to ya, but it will be at least a few days before you are running trains! Wink
Gary, It would be so easy to run it through an overhead conduit. I put a 100 Amp service box in my garage which is 4 foot from this building and the box is in the center of the room, about 10 feet from the outside wall, so I'm 14 ft. from the box to the outside wall of the building, but I think I will run it underground.
The 100 amp service should be enough to power the train room because I will only have lights and heat every now and again, and I have been looking at a windmill that generates DC to charge a battery so I can use an inverter for train operation. This will be way down the road. What do you think?
The 100 amps will be plenty for trains and heat! Most likely you don't need that much. Underground is good, probably more physical labor than overhead, but will look cleaner. As for the wind generator, I suppose it would all depend on cost.... it would probably take 20 years to pay for itself in saved electricity costs.
Errrrrrr..... Charlie B! What's goin' on???
I've been between working and not able to work, Lost a couple days having dental work done, and a couple to the weather, but the past two days, despite 60 MPH winds yesterday, I managed to get the floor down. Next step is to frame the doors and windows.
I'll post a few pictures in a while, need to download the camera. I'm pretty happy so far.
Charlie
Glad it was just minor distractions, like dental stuff and hurricanes...now back to work !!! 2285_ Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
OK, here are some fresh pictures. I'm sure glad I opted to do the floor before the siding, It sure made moving material in and out a lot easier. Weather permitting, I should have it enclosed by the end of the week. I still need to find 6 gallons of oil based paint at a reasonable price for the first coat on the other half of the siding. It is so much easier to do when it is laying flat, and I don't care about the color because the green will be going too. It will be a dark mustard color, with brown trim, and red window trim similar to the PRR towers
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

fantastic, that looks bigger than my house, wish I had even a quarter of that space for my layout :-) Good luck and keep us posted :-)
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
That is looking good, and great progress. But no photos of the underfloor beams and such?
I didn't take time for under floor pictures, pretty basic, just hold the floor up. I put plastic sheeting between the joists and the flooring to serve as a vapor barrier.
The floor feels great on these tired legs. That was my main concern, years of walking on railroad ballast, and concrete floors have totally destroyed my legs, and the last year has really taken a toll on them. I am losing weight and I hope when I get to a reasonable level that I will feel more like standing.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:I didn't take time for under floor pictures, pretty basic, just hold the floor up.

Errrr..... and the walls are just to hold the roof up? But ya took pics of that! Goldth

For some of us, the innards and gizzards is the best part - I would appreciate it if you would crawl under the building and take a few photos. 357
I wasn't the one doing that work. I could stay out of Kenny's way and take pictures. He did, however reluctantly let me cut some of the roof sheating to size for him, although I think he was afraid to let me use the saw. Icon_lol
Charlie
Ohhhhhhhhh Chaaaaar-lieeeeeeee...... Whattup?