Charlie b's layout
Applause Applause Applause
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I did some more work on the Q@ that was started many months ago. I installed a Tsunami 2200 sound decoder for articulated heavy steam. I got the speakers from electronic gold mine at a very reasonable price and the sound is very good. The tender needs some weight and there is a receptacle for a keep alive which I have builts but I did not have the proper plug. I also think the tender trucks need some adjustment but it is to the point where I can breath easy. Worrying about the install was more work than doing it. Sorry, it was too easy to need photos. Here it is on it's first test run.     
Charlie
Here is a short video clip. It might not show up, I don't know how to work the new Youtube  Goldth
PRR Q2
Charlie
Wow---Pennsy certainly had some impressive motive power---the video works great Charlie---looking forward to seeing this locomotive on the head end of a heavy consist on the Wilderson Division.
wow seeing your T-1 brings back memories of one i owned in the past one of the bowser/penn line die cast duel motor ones weighed a good 5 or 6 lbs. but would pull evert car i owned at that time. traded it off for a ammo can of 30 06 in M1 opp clips wish i had that loco back now.
Jim
I took a break from the Q2 and have started working on a ALCo C630 to add to the "modern" fleet.          .
Conrail worked these brutes and they did what they were designed to do. I knew a mechanic that worked on these at 
conway and he said they were really easy compared to the other brands. He said they could have a head off before the water was completely drained. I loved the sounds of these 3000 horsepower beasts 
Charlie
Tonight I got the flat black paint on the Q2 tender trucks and the locomotive cylinders and frame. I applied a little weatering to Conrail 6753 but I didn't take photos. I want to apply the decals to the Q2 tomorrow and apply dull coat to everything then I will post some photos.
Charlie
Well the Q2 has been a problem with intermittent stopping, I put my voltmeter on the track and the drivers on the oppisite side and there was no voltage. I had cleaned the wheels so I knew that wasn't the problem so after many hours of head scratching I finally dawned on me that the trailing truck and pilot were lifting the drivers just enough so they randomly lost contact. There are no electrical pickups on them, both wheels are insulated to stop other shorting problems I am guessing. I can adjust them so the weight is on the drivers and that should solve the problem. It runs great without the trailing truck so I have made a start on fixing the problem.  2285_
Charlie
(03-08-2023, 09:25 PM)Charlie B Wrote: I don't have enough irons in the fire so I have decided I need a massive yard to display all of my rolling stock. I just don't like having it in boxes and drawers under the layout so I am taking a foot off the east side and 16 feet of the north side to build a yard. I made a VERY rough drawing of what I hope to accomplish. I will be adding another 300 feet of track for the yard/s. 
I had ordered shelf braces and they came today so I have installed them on the east wall. The braces are rated for 250 pounds so I should be ok for the weight. The rough drawing is really rough. I draw best with the real track.  I can also get 6 tracks in a 12 inch shelf layout. When I am done the remaining track will go to the grandkids along with any rolling stock that wont fit the shelves.  Goldth 
Charlie

Are you building any scenery in the yard, or is it just a display for rolling stock?
I only just started and am already glancing at those fancy new cars, I can only imagine...
Liking the idea though, in boxes it is just getting dusty without doing anything.
Playing with trains in scale 1:87 and 1:1
My modeling motto: “too many tools, but no clue”
Kitty, There won't be much room for scenery but I may have a yard office and a car repair track. 
Charlie
Finished a decoder install in a Bachmann Spectrum F40PH now it needs some couplers installed    
Charlie
(05-05-2023, 09:14 PM)Charlie B Wrote: I took a break from the Q2 and have started working on a ALCo C630 to add to the "modern" fleet. .
Conrail worked these brutes and they did what they were designed to do. I knew a mechanic that worked on these at 
conway and he said they were really easy compared to the other brands. He said they could have a head off before the water was completely drained. I loved the sounds of these 3000 horsepower beasts 
Charlie

The "CR" decals were variable during the rainbow years, but I've had good luck mimicing the look in that prototype photo by taking a set of Penn Central decals, and chopping the "C" and the "R" out of that decal set.  Gives you that "slanted" look to the letters.
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
23 years ago I bought a commemorative train set put out by a local grocery chain. The price was 29.95. The kicker was the set included a GG1 by Rivarossi and they were selling for 39.95. 
I have decided that the market value of these was never going to be as great as the play value so I got the set out and popped the shell of the locomotive to install a decoder. Having 2 motors I thought the current draw would require a heavy decoder but to my surprise full speed current draw with both motors was a little less than 1/2 amp so I can use the D13W decoder i have on hand. There is lots of room and the motors are isolated as well as pickups on all 20 wheels. I have built a plastic bridge over the rear of the front truck for the decoder. Tonight I will install the lights and wire it up. The red motor wire turns out to be the negative and the blue positive . I don't plan on much running for this set so I don't plan to change the couples yet. 

Charlie
Love the GG1 - so much PRR history through those units. Only way they'd run through the gorge would be a trip to the junkyard, so I haven't sought one out. Saw a New Haven layout in Great Model Railroads 2016 with a full (and brilliant) set of catenary. A huge effort to build that scenery, but it was gorgeous. Pushed me right away from every entertaining an idea to do a layout under wire!
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
Todd, we have a modeler here that models under wire but he has been missing in action. He is a young fellow but knows his stuff on the electrics. I spent 2 days in 1978 watching the high speed trains under the wire and rode the Colonial from Newark to New Haven (where we spent a day and night) and returned the following day. The power was E60s both ways but there were still GG1s in action and Conrails were still active too.  

I got the decoder installed and the lights in this unit and it is impressive how it runs. I see now why these units are selling for good prices. The flanges on this one are normal too. I did oil it and put it on the track with the cars from the set. Far from prototypical but fun none the less. I don't have catenary so I will use ferry dust to power it  Icon_e_biggrin 

Here are a few photos.  

Charlie