doctorwayne's Spring Bash Challenge II...
Wayne,
The lettering is superb! I have to ask, is that a custom dry transfer set that you used? The logo is so crisp and sharp!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks, Pete. Goldth Yes, the lettering is all from some custom dry transfers that I had C-D-S make for me some years back. It's actually the third version which I had done, with the first consisting of a few small, and mostly large heralds and the road's 1940s-era slogan. I had the slogan done in both black and white, and also a black circle for using behind the white herald on reefers. The reporting marks and numbers were done using large sheets from Letraset, and the dimensional data is from sets of the same from C-D-S:

The second set consisted mainly of the reporting marks and numbers, and the same herald in several different sizes, all done only in white. By this time, Letraset was becoming harder to find, especially in white.

The final version, as used on the caboose, includes smaller reporting marks and numbers, and even smaller ones for the end markings. Also included was some dimensional data, built and re-pack dates for the 1930s, and some miscellaneous lettering for cars, such as "Ice Service Only", "Hide Service Only", etc. I also got reporting marks and numbers for my Grand Valley cars, done in a different font and size. While I was generally pleased with all three sets, some of the smaller lettering in the third set has parts where it's barely visible - I'll have enough to do at least some of the two or three dozen EG&E cars yet to build.
Here's the full version:

And a similar one for these early covered hoppers:

The smaller heralds were useful for flatcars:

Wayne
C-D-S, I should have known! They are about the finest dry transfers on the market. That said, the final product is still dependent on the original artwork. Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:C-D-S, I should have known! They are about the finest dry transfers on the market. That said, the final product is still dependent on the original artwork. Thumbsup Thumbsup

I use mostly C-D-S lettering on all of the cars which I paint and letter (probably 90% of all those on the layout) and generally like them a lot. It's too bad that they're no longer producing lettering, although they still have quite an inventory to sell.

I did the artwork for the herald, and then simply used Letraset letters and numerals for the first two orders. My brother then photographed the finished artwork and made a "positive" of it to send to C-D-S.
For the third order, he used the original artwork, then re-sized it as required - working on his computer, he enlarged each letter to full-screen size, cleaned-up all of the edges (it's amazing how bad the original looks under magnification), then shrank it down to the required size.

Wayne
Finally finished (except for marker lights). :oops:

A couple of in-service photos:

I think that perhaps I should have gone for a more radical make-over: even people familiar with the Athearn model are unlikely to notice most of the changes. At least I know what's been done.

Train crews have given it a generally favourable reception, although one brakeman was heard to complain, "Someone's gone an' glued all the dang windas wide open. Sure, it'll be peachy all summer, but come winter, we'll be freezin' our ascots off! An' just as bad, the same fool glued the end gates, too! Ya just can't get no quality work no more." Nope

Wayne
That's a model to be proud of, DocWayne. The white handrails and grabs contrast nicely with the green of the body. And again, all the details are inspiring.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Question about the gate -

Why would a real caboose have this feature at all? I've seen some cabooses with chains, some with gates, some with a continuous railing. But how often is a caboose coupled to another car or locomotive where such a gate is even needed? The only situation I can see is a caboose coupled behind a passenger car on a mixed train, or a caboose coupled behind diesel helper locomotives. But how often did this happen?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Kevin, I think that the gate or chain was mainly to make it easier for the brakeman to get to the ladder, either the one on the caboose or that of the car which it was trailing. Even after it was no longer necessary to brake the cars from the roof, retainers still needed to be turned up or down at the ends of grades.

Wayne
Quote:I think that perhaps I should have gone for a more radical make-over: even people familiar with the Athearn model are unlikely to notice most of the changes. At least I know what's been done.

Maybe I'm not that familiar with the Athearn model (I do have one, but it hasn't seen the light of day in years) or maybe because I've been following the thread, but I notice the changes. Still, even more important than that, I notice the overall look of the caboose - it just looks polished and professional. Nicely done! Cheers

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Thank you for the very kind words, Galen. They're much appreciated coming from someone who does "polished and professional" so well himself.

Wayne
ocalicreek Wrote:I notice the overall look of the caboose - it just looks polished and professional

I think DocWayne just has a better camera than the rest of us. Confusedhock:
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:I think DocWayne just has a better camera than the rest of us. Confusedhock:

You maybe right.
I wonder if he'd let me borrow it, my stuff would look just as good.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Good Doctor! You never cease to amaze me! Worship

You set the bar very high! I'm going to have to get to work and finish up my mini fleet of seven "Cute Little Crummies" and bring my modeling skills up to speed! I'm not sure that even at their best, I can hold a candle to what I've seen in this Challenge. But I'll keep at it and maybe, just maybe, when the next Challenge rolls around, if Big Blue will accept an entries from way down here in Florida, USA, maybe I'll get up the nerve to enter.
Once again, Doctor Wayne, Kudos! Cheers
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thanks for the kind words, Bil, and Welcome to Big Blue. It's good to see you here. Goldth

Wayne