Scubadude's Summer 2010 Wood Cutter's Shack Challenge
scubadude Wrote:I do think I will try to remove it and put a tin corrugated roof on it. I will search back a few threads....someone had a good thread on pressing out HO corrugated roofing material out of tin foil and a computer cable.

Here's the post about the tinfoil roof:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1185&p=18291&hilit=ribbon+cable#p18291">viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1185&p=18291&hilit=ribbon+cable#p18291</a><!-- l -->

Andrew
Thought I would post a quick update of the Woodshack......When we last visited, we were discussing the roof of the woodshed and the consensus was we were not exactly happy with the way it turned out. See pics above. I planned on ripping it off and build a corrugated tin roof to replace it. I was going to use the technique with tin foil and old computer wire in the thread link Mason Jar posted above. However, my good friend Allan, whose layout this is intended for, liked the tarpaper roof. He wants it to be old, rundown and very shabby. Remember, his layout is painstakingly modeled after the Clinchfield RR in 30's and 40's Appalachia in North Carolina http://www.wiringfordcc.com/xiety.htm. So it stays. I will try to dress it up a little with a couple pieces of scrap wood and maybe an old tire or two thrown on top.

Hope to work on it today, time for the tiny details and tools and detailing the inside of the shack itself. Might get a couple of pics posted tonight.....too hot to be outside today....supposed to hit 104 again Eek
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Richard, do not take this the wrong way, as it is meant in the most friendly, helpful way.

I don't think "the consensus" was that the material on the roof was the wrong material; quite the contrary, it is a very common material for roof covering, especially in very rural areas. I believe the general feelings were merely that it does not appear to have been applied in something that approximates a prototypical fashion, even for someone with the combined high single-digit intelligence of the celebrated Hoffentoth Brothers.

But let's suppose that the Hoffentoth Brothers had stopped by to help cover the roof. It may, in the end, still looked pretty much as it currently does, except that my point earlier was, that since on both sides of the roof the tar paper application was started on the left and overlapped as successive sheets were applied, moving to the right, the roof was susceptible to weather damage.

The major problem with this method of tar paper installation is that after the next "big blow" of a wind and rain storm, and the side that was installed "against" the direction of the prevailing winds would in all likelyhood be back to the bare wood, as the wind would have lifted and stripped every sheet of roof covering the side on which each sheet of tar paper offered the open edge to the wind.

But, you know, it's entirely possible that the Hoffentoth Brothers already know this ... from first-hand experience. Misngth
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:Richard, do not take this the wrong way, as it is meant in the most friendly, helpful way.

I don't think "the consensus" was that the material on the roof was the wrong material; quite the contrary, it is a very common material for roof covering, especially in very rural areas. I believe the general feelings were merely that it does not appear to have been applied in something that approximates a prototypical fashion, even for someone with the combined high single-digit intelligence of the celebrated Hoffentoth Brothers.

Thank yew Mister Peein' Camel fer them more'n kind words 'bout our 'telligence, although my bruther would have to admit, after only a minor clobberin', that I'm the brains o' this outfit. (Hardly seems fair that I'd git both the smarts and the good looks. Wink I jest wish he'da learnt how to tell time insteada askin' me to read his fancy-pants watch alla time. Ma shoulda give it to me, but I think she sorta favours him on accounta his shortcomin's.)

P5se Camelback Wrote:But let's suppose that the Hoffentoth Brothers had stopped by to help cover the roof. It may, in the end, still looked pretty much as it currently does, except that my point earlier was, that since on both sides of the roof the tar paper application was started on the left and overlapped as successive sheets were applied, moving to the right, the roof was susceptible to weather damage.

The major problem with this method of tar paper installation is that after the next "big blow" of a wind and rain storm, and the side that was installed "against" the direction of the prevailing winds would in all likelyhood be back to the bare wood, as the wind would have lifted and stripped every sheet of roof covering the side on which each sheet of tar paper offered the open edge to the wind.

But, you know, it's entirely possible that the Hoffentoth Brothers already know this ... from first-hand experience. Misngth

Heck, we got more first-hand experience than you could shake at stick at - I bashed mine several times while roofin' our coal sheds, and ended-up finishing the job using my second hand. I woulda asked muh bruther to hold the nails, but he has trouble with which end goes up. The nails ain't the only thing that got whacked on the head, I'll tell ya.
It got so dang bad that we jest give up on usin' tarpaper and decided to use a giant airbrush thingy to paint on a stimulated version of tarpaper - probably ain't good enough fer no "Challenge" model, but it seems to work well fer us - the roof ain't leaked once, 'though I gotta admit, it's been a coon's age since we had rain. I still cain't figger how the dang grass stays so green lookin', neither. :? Here's a pitcher:
[Image: 100_5747.jpg]

Misngth Misngth
Icon_lol Icon_lol

Misngth
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Wow, you guys were right! A big rain/wind storm up here in the thin air of the Smokey Mountains dang near blew all the roof off the old woodshed! :o But not to worry, the Hoffentoth boys Misngth are on their way down from the Great White North to help us put up another roof. Gonna put up a better deck this time so's the next time it gets a little breezy around here, we'll be poopin' in tall cotton! 357

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheers,
Richard

Probably didn't take all that much wind to tear that roof off, huh? Wink

Looking forward to seeing the replacement!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Hay there, scrubbydub, we's shore glad to see yer fixin' that there shack . Thumbsup Thumbsup (One thumb up frum each of us, on accounta the bandages on t'other ones. Wink )
Since we wuz such a grate help wif yer roofin' troubulations, perhumps you could do one o' them tooty-orials on tree makin' - them ones in the background shore look goo-ood.

Misngth Misngth
Latest update.......leftoff last with the shed roof dilemma. I since have torn it off and replace with a deck, which I will cover with tar paper. Put the molded shingled roof on the shack, probably will splash a little more gray and rust color to give it a little more ooommph....Also got the oil tank structure built, will be adding tank on soon .

I'll spend the rest of the weekend finishing the roofs, painting the tools, building a couple of workbenches and detailing all the wood piles, etc. And finally setting it all on a 8x11 base to set it on Allan's layout.....better hurry, only a couple days left!
:o :o :o :o :o

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheers,
Richard

I like that roof alot better. Looks good, and I bet AG will be proud to have those on his layout. Thumbsup

The overall look of the three structures is terrific!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
wow, that looks great!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
You are all giving me a hard time when it comes to voting at the end of the challenge! Another top job. Your three structures are looking absolutely realistic. Thumbsup
Kurt
Here is my entry to the Summer 2010 Challenge...I must say this was a blast. There are over 75 tiny tools, etc to further detail this scene. I only had time to put together a few. There are many other details left before it gets placed on Allan's layout, but hopefully you can get the feel for it as is....Hopefully you can get a view of the tool bench under the shed and another one inside the shack. The oil tank still needs the valve.

As I said, this was a blast, can't wait for another one Thumbsup

ps - I'm voting for myself so I don't get skunked Icon_lol

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheers,
Richard

Awww shucks.....Them bildins turned out jest too gud lukin' to be the werk of them tuttemhorn brudders........ Goldth

Seriously...Excellent work...!! Thumbsup
The junk stashed all around gives them a "nice" "atmosphere"...

I'm going to have to look into distressing wood to make it look like that....A couple of shanties would be nice....
Gus (LC&P).
Nice!
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.