Steamtrains' 2010 Summer structure challenge entry
Excellent drawings !!!
So !, Will you "build" all the "details", or will you follow prototype practice, and "sub-contract" the detail parts ? Big Grin Big Grin

This is looking like a very interesting project for this challenge. Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
There are few details, apart from the windows, that will need "outsourcing". So it'll be pretty much a do-it-yourself kinda job....
I'm considering making the roof removable in case I get the chance to outfit the interior sometime in the future... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
OK...Now we get to the juicy part...the build.. 2285_

Instead of drawing a plan view of the "concrete" slab, I drew it out directly onto 1/16" balsa planks glued up to the correct width and cut it out...
[Image: DSCF2482.jpg]

After cutting it out, I used it to draw out the roof on a similar 1/16" balsa blank, leaving a 5/16" overhang. I won't cut this one out until the framing is done just to be sure everything is dimensioned and lined up the way it's supposed to be.
[Image: DSCF2485.jpg]
[Image: DSCF2486.jpg]

Then I made a "kit" of all the frame members to insure they're all the same size, and to make the assembly go faster.
[Image: DSCF2489.jpg]

Once this was done, time to start gluing the frames up...
[Image: DSCF2491.jpg]
[Image: DSCF2492.jpg]

That's the first of four frame assemblies I'll be needing. I should have them all done over the weekend, and then I'll start working on the exterior walls.

Stay tuned for the next installment....More to come next week..!!
Gus (LC&P).
OK, that's it....I withdraw my woodcutter's shack from this contest! Icon_lol You're drawings alone will win Thumbsup Great job!!!!
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
That is looking like a very good start. Thumbsup
You definitely have my attention here !

About thirty years ago I bashed two Revell enginehouse kits into a four stall roundhouse.    
It's going to be fun watching your facility come into being, and......I might get a few quick tips for improving the "old building", it has had a "rough life".
The journey is always worth taking, as long as it results in some learning, and I'm always willing to learn from anyone who is willing to teach.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 said, "The journey is always worth taking, as long as it results in some learning, and I'm always willing to learn from anyone who is willing to teach."

Ooooo! I like that! Do I have your permission to use it elsewhere?
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
A very good start indeed Thumbsup . Looks like a lot of fun to build ... almost makes me jealous, but unfortunately I don’t need a roundhouse Nope Goldth

Gus, this is going to be a marvellous roundhouse.
Kurt
I agree with Kurt. Very cool build!

And I agree with Richard... the drawings alone are fantastic.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Thanks for all the kind comments. I enjoy this kind of "stick & plank" building. I picked it up back in my R/C aircraft days.

Update...

After the frames had been glued up, I started on the board 'n batten siding...
[Image: DSCF2493.jpg]

Trying to get the frames to match up with the siding was kind of a ***ch...The routing out of the battens was not quite in line with the blanks, so a little adjusting was required. Overall, I'm kind'a dissapointed with the siding from MicroMark. Apart from this problem, the cut of the blanks was not quite perpendicular to the siding, so that threw things off as well. Also, both sides of the blank end with a batten. So, unless you're building a really tall, skinny building, you have to remove one of the battens on one end, or your joints will be two battens wide.... Wallbang

In any event, I "plowed" ahead, setting up the back walls as well.

I've also painted the "concrete" platform, so I can start "erecting" this baby....

I've got a veritable explosion of parts on the work bench...

[Image: DSCF2494.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2496.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2497.jpg]

Before proceeding with the assembly, I'll have to cut out the window openings, and figure out how to make the entry walls and doors....

Further updates coming soon.... Smile

Note...The frames will be glued on the reverse side of the siding. They're just "mated" on the visible side....
Gus (LC&P).
Stick, and plank, is good. As for the "extra batten"......welcome to the "learning curve"! after a while you begin to adjust, and look for "those boobytraps". Your build is coming along very nicely. Thumbsup Thumbsup

P5se Camelback Wrote:Sumpter250 said, "The journey is always worth taking, as long as it results in some learning, and I'm always willing to learn from anyone who is willing to teach."

Ooooo! I like that! Do I have your permission to use it elsewhere?

I will never be famous, and my "quotes" will never earn me any fortune.....permission granted. Big Grin
Sumpter, that enginehouse kitbash you did is awesome.

Gus, any more progress since your last post?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Not much "visible" progress....I've been working on the window openings which has turned out to be a pain...But once done, they look great...!!

[Image: DSCF2498.jpg]

It's pretty tedious work since the openings have to be "light-proof", as I don't want any interior light to be seen through any "chinks" in the openings....

I'm also thinking that I'll need to paint and weather all of the sub-assemblies before actually putting them together, as this is going to be kind of a "flimsy" building that won't stand up to much handling after assembly. I'll just do a little "touching up" once it's assembled.

I've also been "goofing off" with a couple of my brothers that came down from Austin to do a little fishin'.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Just a quick update...I've been prepping and staining all the parts. All are complete and stained with the exception of the entry doors and frames which I'll build once all the walls are assembled on the base. Here's a few pics..... Goldth

[Image: DSCF2514.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2515.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2516.jpg]

I'll give them a light weathering with acrylics and pastels before assembly and just touch-up once it's finished....

Will have more soon...
Gus (LC&P).
Very nice Cheers Thumbsup
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Steamtrains Wrote:I'll give them a light weathering with acrylics and pastels before assembly and just touch-up once it's finished....

Watch out for the acrylic weathering - the water based paints can warp your carefully aligned joints even when dry-brushing. Don't ask how I know this... 35

Andrew