Steamtrains' 2010 Summer structure challenge entry
Andrew...Thanks for the heads up...I'm doing the weathering on both sides at the same time to avoid running into this problem....Once dry they lie flat again (fingers crossed....)
Gus (LC&P).
Ummm...this has been been bugging me since you posted the drawings, and maybe I should have said something about it then, but here goes anyway.

It looks like the windows on the shorter section of the long wall, just beneath where the roof drops off from the peak, line up with a post smack in the middle of the third window segment. Am I just seeing things?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Galen...You are seeing things...Not one, but TWO posts "interfere" with the locations of the windows. There is the one you mentioned, and the second from the rear. I mentioned this back when I signed up for the challenge, and asked for some feedback on it. Well, when push came to shove, I built it like the "architects" drew it.
(Architects don't like for folks to "mess" with their drawings.... Goldth )

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2974#p48971">viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2974#p48971</a><!-- l -->
Gus (LC&P).
So, there's going to be a post just inside the window blocking the view? Sorry I missed the request for ideas early on.

Galen
Steamtrains Wrote:Andrew...Thanks for the heads up...I'm doing the weathering on both sides at the same time to avoid running into this problem....Once dry they lie flat again (fingers crossed....)

It is not strictly the warping, but the expansion you need to watch for. I once sheathed a boxcar and then painted it. The siding expanded to the point where the glue was broken, and I had to trim two board widths off to get it back in place -i.e. the siding had become wider over all...

You might want to try chalks or weathering powders that won't add any moisture of any kind to the wood. MR has an article in July 2010 about avoiding distortions in wood by colouring with chalks.

Andrew
Steamtrains wrote ...
(Architects don't like for folks to "mess" with their drawings.... )

It reminded me ...
Back when I was working as a Product Designer at NCR and Sperry Corp., and having to deal with Tool and Die Shops who were cutting tool steel for some plastic part, I occasionally would put the following in the "Notes" block of the drawing ...

MIL-TP-41C

I would get a call from the shop with a confused sounding voice asking, "I've been all through the MIL Spec (Military Specifications) Book and I can't find the one on your drawing."

"Oh, that. That's not a MIL Spec, that's one of my abbreviations ... it stands for Make It Like - The Print - for once."

Most times, the guy would just laugh and all would be good to go.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
357 357 ....Good one...!!!

Andrew...The wood warps because the one face that is moist expands while the other face remains at the original size. If you moisten both faces at the same time the wood will return to it's normal size once dried.

Galen...They won't block "the view" since guys aren't supposed to be looking out the "windass"....They will block incoming light.... Sad
Gus (LC&P).
P5se Camelback Wrote:MIL-TP-41C

Oh, Maaannnn !??, where's the fun in that ? Big Grin 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Steamtrains Wrote:Andrew...The wood warps because the one face that is moist expands while the other face remains at the original size. If you moisten both faces at the same time the wood will return to it's normal size once dried.

In theory that is what could have happened... in practice it did not! 35

Andrew
Andrew...Did you paint BOTH sides of the boxcar..?? If not...you know the results.... Nope
If you don't need to paint both sides, they both should get a primer. This will help as well in preventing warpage or dimensional changes.
Gus (LC&P).
Just a quick update...
I finally stopped making lots and lots of pieces, and started putting stuff together... 2285_

Here's a few picks of where I'm at right now..

The "concrete" base and far wall with columns, siding and windows
[Image: DSCF2517.jpg]

A view of the interior columns being assembled to the base
[Image: DSCF2519.jpg]
[Image: DSCF2521.jpg]

"Dormer" windows going in
[Image: DSCF2522.jpg]

And a view of the back
[Image: DSCF2523.jpg]

I want to put some signs on the inside walls before I "button 'er up", and I recall seeing someone here posted a "sheet" with all sorts of signs, but I couldn't find it. Any ideas..??

I should have the basic structure done today, hopefully I can get to work on the doors and frames, and then move on to the roof.
I have to figure out a way of "sneaking" a couple of wires for interior lights from the base to the roof interior before putting the roof in place....

Well...D..d'..dats all for today folks..!!
Gus (LC&P).
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/show...ight=signs

http://www.thewhistlepost.com/forums/tip...gns-3.html

Here's some great sign resources, you should be able to find something here.
-Dave
Gus - it looks fantastic....but those windows & posts just stick in my craw. No slight or slander against your modeling intended - that, my friend, is terrific. The weathering and coloration on the wood and floor is great. I agree you should try hard to honor the plans and designers intentions. But somehow it just bugs me, knowing the windows line up with the posts like that. :? Could it be that the windows were drawn for the brick wall, as you mentioned the drawings said they would be brick? That would explain why they were placed there. The photo back on pg 1 shows the windows boarded or walled over when the wall was changed. Was the original brick or wood?

Galen
SteamTrains Gus!

What a beautiful structure your choice of Challenge projects is turning out to be! I am falling in lust with it! It has all the potential to be one of those classic railroad structures, like John Allen's nifty little enginehouse! It will undoubtably be a "signature building" on your layout!

Keep up the remarkable work!

I hunger for the next group of images!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
That's some fine work so far. Thumbsup
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew