doctorwayne's Summer Challenge - Part II: A shanty...
...isn't much of a home either, but for the crossing tenders/watchmen on my railroads, these shanties are "home" for their workday.
I started with Evergreen strips in various sizes, along with some scraps of styrene clapboard and board & batten siding, and some door and window castings from Tichy.
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos078.jpg]

The walls are assembled, with doors and windows included only to show placement:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos083.jpg]

The view below shows how the walls will be assembled to one another, with the 6"x6" strips beside the outer faces of the walls cemented to their edges, while the similar strips beside the inside view of the wall are cemented to the edges of the interior face of the wall:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos088.jpg]

A set of completed walls, with windows and doors simply set in place. They'll be cemented after all of the painting and glazing has been finished:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos090.jpg]

And some views of the assembled structures (there'll be three similar ones, with with variations in window placement depending on the locale where they'll be placed:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos092.jpg]

[Image: Morekitbashingphotos093.jpg]

[Image: Morekitbashingphotos094.jpg]

Each building gets a simple roof of .060" sheet styrene:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos095.jpg]

[Image: Morekitbashingphotos096.jpg]

I also added a smokejack (from an Athearn caboose, plus some Evergreen tubing) along with some facia and the framing for the lookouts at both gable ends. I didn't bother with rafter tails along the sides, as the steep roof and overhang should hide that area. If not, the roofs will be removeable anyway, so that detail can be added if required.
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos098.jpg]

[Image: Morekitbashingphotos099.jpg]

Still to come: shingles (Pete?), perhaps some exterior trim, maybe some interior details, paint, and then installation on the layout.

Wayne
" Still to come: shingles (Pete?),...."

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
As your photos were loading, my thought was, seriously, "what were you going to cover the roof with?" Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:" Still to come: shingles (Pete?),...."

As your photos were loading, my thought was, seriously, "what were you going to cover the roof with?" Big Grin Big Grin

Leo (Campbell) has offered some assistance. Wink 357 Misngth

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Leo (Campbell) has offered some assistance. Wink 357 Misngth
Wayne

Sounds like a plan to me. Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Now that looks more like the work of the DoctorWayne that I've become accustomed to seeing on this forum!

NICE!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Such a singular shanty surely should shingly simply.

Say that three times fast. Nice work so far, Wayne.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Goldth It's unlikely that you'll see any highly detailed structures from me, ever. I enjoy building, but they're simply background for the trains. I have several more "Parts" for my Summer Challenge, but it remains to be seen if any of them will even get started, let alone completed. At least it's some incentive to get busy filling in some of the empty lots on the layout, but don't look to me for contest winners or even much in the way of inspiration.

Wayne
Nice work , a lot of people forget about the smaller structures and just concentrate on the large mammoth buildings that generate traffic. the smaller shanties like this one are just as important. Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Well, DocWayne, go ahead and be humble, but the laittle shanty is a nice piece of scratchbuilding. I like it - the framing at the gable ends is an excellent touch.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
A little more progress to show, with construction time stolen from some 1:1 scale projects.

I brush-painted the buildings and the doors and windows that will be installed later (still need to construct and paint some window shades, which will be cemented to the interior of the already-glazed windows before they're installed in their openings).  I also added a simple foundation made of heavy timbers (.100"x.100"strip styrene, distressed by dragging a razor saw along the length of the strip, before the individual pieces were cut from it).  The front "porch" is .020"x.100" strip, also textured with the razor saw.
Two of the shanties will be installed on level ground, so a low foundation was sufficient:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos102.jpg]

The other shanty will be situated between a main line on raised roadbed and a siding on lower ground, so a higher base was necessary:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos107.jpg]

Here's a look at the underside:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos101.jpg]

...and a look from the top - you can see how the floor of the interior is notched to receive the interior corner posts of the shanty:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos105.jpg]

This view illustrates how the interior and exterior corner posts are located.  The structure is designed to be removeable from its base, and the roof removeable from the structure.  The stove was made from a piece of 3/16" diameter styrene tubing, with the top punched from some .015" sheet stock.  The stove pipe, which mates into the "thimble" on the underside of the roof, is .080" styrene rod:
[Image: Morekitbashingphotos104.jpg]

I also brush-painted the interior surfaces of the walls and roof - all three structures will be close to the front of the layout, and, with so many windows, need to at least appear complete.  I may add more interior detail, but if it looks like too much will be required, I'll simply have the watchmen draw the shades on those windows facing the viewer.  Wink  357  Misngth
I was finally able to locate some gelled contact cement to use for shingle installation, and, even better, managed to include its almost $20.00 cost in with that of the 1:1 reno supplies.  Thumbsup  Shingles are next, along with window shades and door and window installation.

Wayne
Wayne, excellent work as always! Thumbsup

Do you have any tips for brush painting styrene? Whenever I try, it either takes forever or comes out streaky with brush strokes showing.....or both Sad
Steve
Looking nice DocWayne. Interesting little build. Now, did you say $20 for glue??? Confusedhock:

Steve, sometimes the brush strokes are a good thing! They can be used to help with the weathering as on the concrete slabs under my summer challenge bridge. I'm interested to hear DocWayne's comments, but one technique I have used for lessening the brush strokes is to thin the paint somewhat and use several coats to cover. But really, the only place I have trouble with brush strokes are on large pieces. The brush strokes just aren't that noticable on smaller stuff, especially if it has texture or alot of grooves and such.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Nice one Wayne! Neat company paint job!
Ralph
SWEET!! Thumbsup

Very nice little show-piece Wayne! Worship
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
doctorwayne Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:" Still to come: shingles (Pete?),...."

Leo (Campbell) has offered some assistance. Wink 357 Misngth

Wayne
I'll send those Hoffentoth boys back up there as soon as they finish helping me re-roof my woodshed... Misngth
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191