Gary S' 2010 Summer Challenge - Bridge
Geez, Gary ... I wasn't remarking about the trains ...

... it's just that once again, you guys who type fast and paste photos fast are so much quicker than "Mr. three keys forward and four keys back - oops! that key triple bounced, go bback aand edit" that you snuck those photos in between what I was commenting on and my comment, making my post look totally idiotic and moronic (well ...) sothis time i,m nott editting - I'm just posting before you can slip another one in under me!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Sorry about that, biL... still, it was funny!

Spent a bunch of time tonight working on bent number 3. The new weathering trick I tried on the pipes didn't come out that convincing for the mildly rusted pipes - but they will work for the more rusted pipes on the doubled up bents in the middle of the bridge. I'll post that method at some point because it is very cool - great for boxcar roofs and other painted surfaces that have become rusty. Anyway, I ended up just using my normal method of craft paints brushed on. I also used some colored pencils and a bit of powder for the final affects.

As I was painting, I noticed that I had put in the horizontal piping a bit too high. Wallbang But at that point, I wasn't going to change it. I'll just have to accept the deduction from the judges. :x

I would like some honest and harsh constructive criticism on this one though, so I can be aware of the intricacies that I missed and that are seen by others.

Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Quote:I would like some honest and harsh constructive criticism on this one though, so I can be aware of the intricacies that I missed and that are seen by others.

Ummm... ok. Well... (rather speechless here)... Those pants (or whatever it is wrapped around the upright) appear to be a size 36 in the proto-photo, and you've obviously modelled size 38. 35

Honestly Gary - you need to package this build as a tutorial so the rest of us mere mortals can have a shot at doing such fine work!
Thumbsup Thumbsup

Andrew
Cheers

Wayne
AHA! There is the answer to one of my original questions about flooding, etc.! The build-up of reeds or tall grass or whatever that dead plant debris is that is piled up on the up-stream side of the bent is the evidence of fast-moving high water that I had wondered about! I'm sure that's a detail to be installed after the trestle is "placed."

Wow, Gary! The indication of rust is extremely well-done! As suggested, you might consider (when you are bored and have nothing to do in a few years) putting together a tutorial on the "Making It Look Rusty" process! It really works well! I'm going back to study that photo for a bit when I finish this post!

But I've really got to say, Gary ...
... your imaginative and innovative fabrication techniques and your madd modeling skills are an inspiration to us, one and all!
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
MasonJar Wrote:Those pants (or whatever it is wrapped around the upright) appear to be a size 36 in the proto-photo, and you've obviously modelled size 38.

Doh! :o

I readily admit that the "pants" were hastily thrown on there in an effort to get to bed at a reasonable time. Lesson learned... be patient with your detailing, lest some sharp-eyed Gauger spots the shortcomings!
doctorwayne Wrote:Cheers

Yeah, I'll probably remove the "pants" and replace them with the proper size.

Misngth
P5se Camelback Wrote:AHA! There is the answer to one of my original questions about flooding, etc.! The build-up of reeds or tall grass or whatever that dead plant debris is that is piled up on the up-stream side of the bent is the evidence of fast-moving high water that I had wondered about! I'm sure that's a detail to be installed after the trestle is "placed."

I started to add the weeds last night, actually took some HO scale "cornfield stalks" and bent them around, but just couldn't make it look right. Then took some straw colored thread, again couldn't make it look right, so I abandoned the effort.... as you mention, to be installed once the bent is in place.

On another high water note, the pipes on the upstream side are more rusted and battered than on the downstream side. Logs and other debris would scrape the upstream pipe more than the others.

P5se Camelback Wrote:Wow, Gary! The indication of rust is extremely well-done! As suggested, you might consider (when you are bored and have nothing to do in a few years) putting together a tutorial on the "Making It Look Rusty" process! It really works well! I'm going back to study that photo for a bit when I finish this post!

I will do it this weekend.

P5se Camelback Wrote:But I've really got to say, Gary ...
... your imaginative and innovative fabrication techniques and your madd modeling skills are an inspiration to us, one and all!

I very much appreciate that, biL. 8-)
Gary,

This is a great build!!

I wish I could move as fast as you do on you modeling!!
I really like the pants detail...even though they are the wrong size Misngth

Keep up this great build and please show us the rusting technique!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
" I would like some honest and harsh constructive criticism on this one though, so I can be aware of the intricacies that I missed and that are seen by others."

OK........I would leave the "pants" alone, but if you do change them......the belt loop in the back is torn away at the lower end! Big Grin Big Grin ......oh, and the zipper is stuck midway down. Confusedhock: Big Grin

If you have any scraps left of the pipe material, use it to mock up the upstream pipes, so you can play with the material buildup/weeds/grass/current carried debris, before applying it to the model. That gives you a chance to perfect a technique, before you actually use it.
I'll be watching closely........Doctorwayne isn't the only one I intend to learn from. Icon_twisted
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Greg, thanks for the compliments, and Andrew's pants are very funny!

S250, that's another lesson I need to learn... practice the techniques and make mock-ups before attempting the actual model. It really pays off. I've always had a hard time putting in the effort on something when the item is actually not going to be used... I just have to realize that the education gained is important. And I appreciate the kind comments!
Pocket lint. No, I'm not making an addition to the already rofl humorous comments about the pants. Try pocket lint or dryer fuzz from the lint trap as the debris caught up against the footing.

Other than that, I can't make any suggestions you haven't already thought of. VERY nice work. Looking forward to the rest.

Now...back to work on the truss bridge plans... Big Grin

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Galen -- you sent me back out to the garage to retrieve the pocket lint from my jeans and the lint from the dryer vent after doing a load of wash this afternoon. [It's a good thing I'm not still married ... I used to take plenty of flack for all the things I once saved. She'd see me eyeing something in the trash when I was emptying the household trash recepticles on the night before trash pick-up, grab it from me and throw it in the big trash bag! "TRASH!" she'd say!] Nope Icon_lol
biL

biL, I haven't looked for any lint yet, but I am going to make use of Galen's idea. Thanks Galen!

Progress -

Bents 1, 2, 7, 8, and 9 need paint and weathering
Bent 6 needs glueing and the addition of the horizontal piping and additional paint and weathering
Bent 3 is done

And a GoogleEarth image of the bridge. Everything is actually straight, the curve is compliments of Google.

Some parts of bents 5 and 6 are done, but still alot to do on those. Sometime today I will do some weathering and I'll post photos of the process.

And one more photo of a train on the bridge:

A faithful reproduction. I, too, would like to know how you made the rust.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->