And you think trains are EXPENSIVE!!
You ain't seen nuttin' yet as far as a costly hobby. I was poking around on E Bay looking for more 1/64 cars when I spotted a 48 Buick with a buy it now price of 345 .00 BUCKS. I just had to see this , must be a mistake ---- NOPE it was real . It was a 1/43 model from some outfit called Motor City , still thinking it had to be wrong I looked at the guy selling it. He had a big feedback number & that Motor City stuff seemed to be all he had AND he had SOLD A BUNCH of them --- Many for over 1000.00 DOLLARS -- for a 1/43 scale car . I can't even get my head around how a 4 inch long mass produced ( even in limited editions they are mass produced) diecast car can fetch 1500 dollars as one Packard ambulance did.
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
Motor City?
Made in China by a company called Yat Ming.
I bought a 1/24th scale Studebaker "Golden Hawk", for $100. The guy said it was a Premier model from Motor City.
Two months later...Saw the same model in Wally-World for $24.00. The only difference.The package!
The one I bought was in a "Motor City" package.....The one at Wally World..Yat Ming!
Only if I knew then...But now I am more cautious when buying diecast.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
You may be able to pick up a worn out 48 buick for that price. 1:1 scale, I mean Smile Icon_lol Icon_lol
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Motor City?
Made in China by a company called Yat Ming.
I bought a 1/24th scale Studebaker "Golden Hawk", for $100. The guy said it was a Premier model from Motor City.
Two months later...Saw the same model in Wally-World for $24.00. The only difference.The package!
The one I bought was in a "Motor City" package.....The one at Wally World..Yat Ming!
Only if I knew then...But now I am more cautious when buying diecast.

I know Yat Ming stuff , they make great 1/64th models for about 20 bucks or so , I have some. They are so darn nice I can't bring myself to wreck em!! I know they make some 1/24 too.
The stuff I'm seeing is 1/43 & supposedly this is ALL the outfit makes .
On the other hand who knows?
If it is allowed I could post the E Bay number so one could check the stuff out , he has sold a bunch at BIG bucks & I did google Motor City & got ther site with a bunch of propaganda about how great they were but the catalog or product list was a dead click when I tried to see it.
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
I know what you mean.
I'm gonna prove a point, and I don't want to start any fires.
Here's what I'm talking about when being careful about buying diecast, especially on e-bay.
Though I know Dave, you make them look real Good, by junking them up.Great work, wish I had your talent.

Here's two 1/24th scale Tuckers I bought, at two different times. One's, a Motor City example, that I paid $75 dollars for(Before I knew), and the other is a Yat Ming I bought at KMart for twenty dollars.

Which is which?

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Quote:You may be able to pick up a worn out 48 buick for that price. 1:1 scale, I mean
Oh yeah!!! Goldth Goldth Goldth
Restoring that '48 Buick, now there's an EXPENSIVE hobby! Eek Eek
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!