File Size
How big a file size are we allowed for posting pics?
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:How big a file size are we allowed for posting pics?

Currently, it's set to 200K. I was told that was what the setting was previously. As other people join and usage grows, we may need to grow the server. But these things can get fine tuned as it goes. I think ngauger posted somewhere a method of uploading photos in the Gallery section and then linking to them from the forum posts. You can also upload attachments into the forum posts and they will not show up in the Gallery. I think they'd be easier for each user to manage them by putting all their photos in the Gallery.
Quote:Currently, it's set to 200K. I was told that was what the setting was previously

As I mentioned in one of the other threads, the original "Big Blue" set pictures at 600 X 400 pixels, 75K file size. any picture over 800 pixels wide has a tendency to cause the viewed screen to be too wide, requiring side to side scanning to read the posted comments.
Consider picture loading speed, viewer screen size, and bandwidth used.
I am still, and it looks like I won't be able to afford anything more than, dial-up. If the picture is too big, or there are too many to load up in a "reasonable time", I won't ever go to that thread. There are still dial-up users out here.
"Billboard photo" posters can use a picture hosting service. There are a number of boards that require them, and have no direct upload ability, to restrict bandwidth usage.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
you're right - i checked again.. The Gallery was set to 200 Posts were (and now are ) set to 75K Smile Thanks!!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I would rather see photos of a reasonable size. I have re-sized all of my photos in my collection, and to be quite honest I won't make them any smaller. A photo of 1040 by whatever will fit the normal computer screen very well and allow the viewer to see at least some of the detail.
I can enjoy the forum without pictures and I don't see the option to link to them elsewhere, but this is all new to me.
Charlie
Charlie, you can link pictures from photobucket by simply copying and pasting the "img..." line, although the few that I've linked thusly have had the right-hand one third of the picture lopped off. My pictures there are quite large, though.

Wayne
You can edit the size of your photos on your computer before you upload them. On my PC, I just right click on the image, select edit, and resize it there. I don't recall what I do when using the Mrs' Mac. I always reduce them since many of my photos are 1.5-2.5MB files, which are just not practical for the internet...but excellent for printing. Can't do much about other people's photos.

Sumpter, sorry about the larger photos (640x480 & 1080x720) in the 2-8-0 thread. I linked them in from photobucket directly; If I'd known that you can't load threads like that, I'd have linked them in as thumbnails.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->