Stein
Me, my wife and our kids on our local narrow gauge museum railroad:
[Image: us_2004.jpg]

Smile,
Stein
Yesterday I received this email from Stein's widow and she asked me to share it with you all:

Quote:Hi, Andrew -

I noticed that you had some email correspondence with my late husband, Stein. I know the forum heard about his death, but I thought I'd just drop you a line.

In October we passed the one-year mark. It was a year with many firsts - first Christmas without Stein, first summer vacation without Stein, etc. The year generally went okay, but it hasn't been easy and I miss him more each day.

People on the forum naturally wondered how he died. It happened suddenly in the night, and the symptoms point to a blood clot in the lung. There was no autopsy. He had had a tough time that fall, with problems in both legs - gout, injury and infection in a series of combinations. He'd get a little better, than worse again. For a few days, he even needed a wheelchair, So much inactivity, combined with a knee injury, probably created the conditions for the blood clot.

That fall he did a lot of working from home, either sitting or lying down in bed. The weekend he died, he actually seemed better. He had been to work on Friday for the first time in a couple weeks (though his co-workers thought he should have stayed home). He was also pottering around outside on the porch that weekend. So it came as a shock when he called out for me in the middle of the night. I was able to talk to him for awhile before he collapsed waiting for the ambulance. The neighbor and I tried CPR but to no avail.

Feel free to share this on the forum if you'd like, and thank everyone for their messages of sympathy back in 2012.

I hope all is well with you and yours.

Yours
Lora

Andrew
Thanks for posting that... I still think of him every once in a while.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Yes Andrew, thank you, it is appreciated that you're sharing this.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Sometimes the good we do, is not "interred with our bones", but rather comes back in full measure. Thank You Andrew for posting Lora's letter.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!