SSW and UP weathering - Please comment
Okay, got some time to take some more pics...

[Image: 2493.jpg]

UP 2493 - Athearn Genesis w/DCC and Sound

[Image: 2493-1.jpg]

[Image: 7501-1.jpg]

UP 7501 - BLI AC6000 - Sister to 7500

[Image: 7501.jpg]

[Image: 9822-4.jpg]

SP 9822 - Athearn Genesis with added MU Hoses

[Image: 9822-2.jpg]

[Image: 9822-1.jpg]
Nice job! If it will help you, there's a couple of forums out there strictly just for the weathering side of modeling
Model Trains Weathered
ProtoWeathering.com
Industrial Models.net This guy does awesome work! Very few diesels though, mostly freight cars and all in O scale. You could still get ideas from checking out the gallery though.
Mike
Callum, your models look great! There is one other bit of information you might be interested in. I tried to find a picture, but could not. Someone else who understands what I'm saying may be more successful than I am in finding a pic. The S.P. has always been mindful of making their equipment as visible as possible. That is why they had so many lights on their locomotives compared to almost any other railroad in the U.S. Another thing that they did was to use a reflective paint for the lettering on their locomotives. The problem was that the reflective paint did not do well with high heat, and tended to burn off easily. This was especially noticeable on the "Southern Pacific" or "Cotton Belt" lettering on the side of the long hood. Since it was right next to the diesel engine, those doors got hot and the reflective lettering burned off after a while leaving what looked like red lettering. The lettering wasn't really red, rather the entire engine was primed with red oxide primer, and then the reflective lettering was applied and masked off for the black and the red "bloody nose". After a few months of operation the reflective paint would burn off the letters leaving what appeared to be the large lettering on the side of the long hood in red.

I was at the Western Prototype Modeler's meet last Saturday at the restored Santa Fe depot in San Bernardino, Ca. One modeler who had about 10-12 diesels on display there was Elizabeth Allen, who is a first rate modeler who models the S.P. I asked her about why I never saw any S.P. diesels with the "red" lettering on the side of the long hood, and she told me that she just didn't bring any of those with her. She said the Microscale makes a decal of the red lettering. I went to the Microscale web page, but there are thousands of decals in their catalog and I couldn't find it. I suspect that since it is just the lettering for the name on the side of the long hood that turns red, it may be offered in a mini-cal. They didn't have any pics of the mini-cals on their web page. You might try asking them about it in an e-mail to get the correct catalog number for that sheet, but I think you might want to consider doing a few models with red lettering on the long hood. I don't remember seeing any of their units with "speed lettering" with the white burned off, so either they were too freshly painted (painted after the D&RGW merger) to have had time to burn off when I saw them, or they had realized that the reflective paint wasn't holding up so went back to a plain white. I saw red lettering on virtually all of their older units that didn't have a fresh repaint like tunnel motors, Gp40-2s, and switch engines.
I've seen some of her models and she does do a fantastic job!
Mike