Southern Pacific Switching Layout
I have an 'adapter' car like that - actually it's my oldest son's 'special' car. Inspired by the "Superman Car" article years ago in MR, I allowed my then 3-year old to pick out whatever car he wanted. At the time I had some stuff with Kadees and some with horn-hooks, plus I had the proper Kadee replacement for his car - but just one, from the old conversion kit that came with pretty much one of everything. So in a combination of laziness and practicality, I swapped just one coupler - that way if I ran old stuff, I could use his car, and if I ran new stuff, I could use his car. I should dig it out and show him and see if he remembers it - he's nearly 20 now and sadly the railroad bug didn;t stick with him or his younger brother.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
Justinmiller171 Wrote:...I already laid out some temporary track just to get a general idea of what the Layout will look like....
I like that phase of construction most. You got something into your hands but you can still do anything with your imagination. You see with open eyes the final layout. Keep on!
Reinhard
Justin: your yard looks like an extended version of Inglenook Sidings. This is a (originally British) switching puzzle using a small number of cars (I think it was 5-3-3) on 2 sidings.

After you try switching with the X2fs, I'd like to have the Kadee franchise in your area. Goldth
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Justin: your yard looks like an extended version of Inglenook Sidings. This is a (originally British) switching puzzle using a small number of cars (I think it was 5-3-3) on 2 sidings.

That's funny because right as you posted this I was reading an article on the Inglenook Sidings and was thinking the same thing Goldth

BR60103 Wrote:After you try switching with the X2fs, I'd like to have the Kadee franchise in your area. Goldth

Switching with Horn-Hook Couplers are a pain in the *** Eek , But lucky I found a bunch of Bachmann's EZ-Mate Couplers in my spare part box.

If anyone is interested, Here is a link to some info on the Railroad I am thinking of Modeling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butte_County_Railroad
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justinmiller171 Wrote: ... If anyone is interested, Here is a link to some info on the Railroad I am thinking of Modeling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butte_County_Railroad

Justin, Justin, Justin!

I thought that you had decided to "build something," just to get on with it and DO IT!

So ... now it looks like you are still pussy-footin' around with maybe I'll do this, or maybe I'll do that, no, I'm gonna do this other thing. Wait! I've changed my mind, I think I'm leaning towards dointg this next interesting thing that i'm now infatuated with.

I know you are young ... I was too, once, a few years ago. I understand having trouble making up your mind because you are shooting off in all directions. But there comes a time when you have to either fish or cut bait!

Please! Come to the realization that this will not be the "layout of your dreams." It will be a learning experience and you will then use the things that you learned on this layout to build the next one where you will learn still more new things to add to what learning you did on this layout. I'm sure that most of us here on this forum have each built several layouts over the years (the operative word there is "years") and virtually none of us even have remnants of our first or second or even third layouts.

You've been heading in one direction now for a bit ...put the blinders on if you have to, but keep going, don't be distracted by "the next new thing!" I have been kicking around the Lehigh Susquehanna & Western for going on forty years. I've started and had 20 to 30 linear feet of L-girder benchwork on which was operating trackage at least three times in three different living spaces in three different towns in three different statesand each time I moved I packed up all the models (carefully) and broke down the benchwork and left it at the curb to wait for trash day, knowing that I would just start over with a new trackplan to fit in a new space when I got situated in my new job and my new residence. But I continued working on the concept, developing industries with loads in/loads out, building rolling stock and collecting brass Reading Railroad Camelbacks in several different wheel arrangements, along with the appropriate motive power classifications and numbering systems.

My point is the that layouts have come and gone but the railroad has continued on, and a brand new new layout is about to begin in a brand new living space in yet another new state. You must do essentially the same ... nail it down, and begin the build. Stick with it! Think about it! Gary S. is building his second layout since joining Big Blue. And these were not his first and second layouts!

Get Off the Dime!

Just Do It Already!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:
Justinmiller171 Wrote: ... If anyone is interested, Here is a link to some info on the Railroad I am thinking of Modeling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butte_County_Railroad

Justin, Justin, Justin!

I thought that you had decided to "build something," just to get on with it and DO IT!

Bil, I see your point, but I have been Building something, I have just reached a pause in construction due to lack of finances and I figured I would look at some themes for a layout while I had the Opportunity. I have already decided on a track-plan and that I will be modeling the Southern Pacific(Or a subsidiary). Now I just have to decide on a theme.
Justin Miller
Wow, Justin. Nice work. I like your track plan.

Your benchwork does appear to be constructed in a fashion very similar to mine. Initially I had planned on using the 24" doors as well, but when you enter the guest room where my layout is that would protrude too far into the room. However, now that I'm working on the 16" doors I am finding a few areas (namely around my engine house) where an additional 6 to 8 inches would have helped with some scenery and track arrangements.

In retrospect, I wish I would have constructed the long leg of my "L" using the wider doors, and made only the short leg from the narrow 16", but I never thought to make the two legs different widths!
My NCE Powercab Arrived toady, Everything is working fine Except that there is No power going to the Tracks!!! Curse Curse Curse

Does anybody know how to fix this? I am pretty sure I have everything Wired correctly.

Here is what the back of the UTP looks like:
[Image: HPIM4645.jpg?t=1290557075]
Justin Miller
....Nevermind I fixed it 2285_
Justin Miller
One small suggestion. Don't leave so much exposed wire on your track buss feeds to the UTP panel. You should only need to strip about an 1/8 of an inch of the insulation off in order to make your connection.
tetters Wrote:One small suggestion. Don't leave so much exposed wire on your track buss feeds to the UTP panel. You should only need to strip about an 1/8 of an inch of the insulation off in order to make your connection.

I think that could of been part of the problem, To fix it I switched it out with a different type of wire and that seems to have fixed it.

DCC makes model railroading more than twice the fun! I built a temp Inglenook switching puzzle and I have been shunting cars back and forth all day!
Justin Miller
where are the pics? Popcornbeer Cheers
Santa Fe all the way
Greetings from Germany!
Justinmiller171 Wrote:DCC makes model railroading more than twice the fun! I built a temp Inglenook switching puzzle and I have been shunting cars back and forth all day!

That is probably the end of construction. On my first layout, once I got enough track down to run some trains around, I would go out to the garage to work on the layout, spend 3 hours running trains, and need to go to bed. Time would fly and I never did get around to finishing it or doing any scenery!
X 3829 Wrote:where are the pics? Popcornbeer Cheers

I will probably not get around to doing any work on the layout for another couple of weeks, I currently have no money, but my Birthday and Christmas are just around the corner! The first thing I will get is 3 sheets of foam to cover the Doors, then I will lay track and carve the foam to the shape I want, Then I will do some basic scenery including the backdrop, Hopefully I can get all this done by the end of the year.
Justin Miller
Russ Bellinis Wrote:
Justinmiller171 Wrote:DCC makes model railroading more than twice the fun! I built a temp Inglenook switching puzzle and I have been shunting cars back and forth all day!

That is probably the end of construction. On my first layout, once I got enough track down to run some trains around, I would go out to the garage to work on the layout, spend 3 hours running trains, and need to go to bed. Time would fly and I never did get around to finishing it or doing any scenery!

I Ain't quitting on this layout ! Nope Icon_lol

This will probably be the last layout I will build for awhile, so I want to at least get to the basic scenery stage before I give up! Misngth
Justin Miller