Southern Pacific Switching Layout
:hey: ... And why would you even think about "giving up?"

:?: :? :?:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:
:hey: ... And why would you even think about "giving up?"

:?: :? :?:

Don't worry Bil, I was just kidding Icon_lol Icon_lol

Since this is the last layout I will build for awhile I want to make sure I finish it, and that I will enjoy it. After I get the track and foam set up I may make a few changes to the plan based upon how it operates, Nothing is set in stone yet so expect some changes.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Young man ... you must come the realization that ...

... a model railroad is never "finished!"
There is always something else to do that will make it better in one way or another.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Russ Bellinis Wrote:That is probably the end of construction. On my first layout, once I got enough track down to run some trains around, I would go out to the garage to work on the layout, spend 3 hours running trains, and need to go to bed. Time would fly and I never did get around to finishing it or doing any scenery!
You sound too much like me Russ! Over the years, I've built at least 10 layouts in several scales and with different themes based on what interested me at the time and none of them ever got much past the train running stage! Once the track was laid and wired and I could start operating the layout, about the only scenery that was ever placed on the layout would be a few structures.

I've wasted a year since I retired, trying to settle on an interesting track plan and theme and like Justin, have gone from one plan/theme to another and still not accomplished anything!

Whatever I end up doing, I'm determined that this layout is going to at least get a finished look although I'm going to use the "good enough" approach and then if I'm happy with the results, I'll come back an put more detail on it as the mood strikes.

So Justin; I say go with one of your plans (the latest is a nice simple yet realistic one) - get the track laid and wired and start operating it. The scenery and structure construction will provide plenty of enjoyment and doesn't have to be rushed. If after you get it to an operation stage and you aren't happy with the theme - then start again with something else. I know that you've been told this before, but as you get older, your life will change as will your modeling interests. Each layout you build will be a learning experience and as Bil said - "... a model railroad is never "finished!" There is always something else to do that will make it better in one way or another."
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
How do you like that NCE system?

I've been very happy with mine so far (mostly because the cost was less than so many comparable systems, but also because it was so easy to hook up)!

I thought the added ease of being able to run more than one loco without all the block wiring would be enough for me, but then a few months back I bit the bullet and bought my first sound equipped loco, and now I'm addicted!
dgaken Wrote:How do you like that NCE system?

I've been very happy with mine so far (mostly because the cost was less than so many comparable systems, but also because it was so easy to hook up)!

I thought the added ease of being able to run more than one loco without all the block wiring would be enough for me, but then a few months back I bit the bullet and bought my first sound equipped loco, and now I'm addicted!

I love my NCE System, My Local Club uses Digitrax but I think my Powercab is alot easier to use, The main reason I switched to DCC was because I wanted to run sound-equipped engines. I Run a BLI NW-2 on my layout and not only does it run great but it also Sounds great! I can't imagine going back to DC.
Justin Miller
Well.... The other day I visited EVERY hardware/home improvement store in the area and NONE had the type of foam I need. Curse

I guess I will have to just place the track directly on the benchwork, That should work out okay.
Justin Miller
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Well.... The other day I visited EVERY hardware/home improvement store in the area and NONE had the type of foam I need. Curse

I guess I will have to just place the track directly on the benchwork, That should work out okay.
I know that feeling all too well Justin! Around here, all you can find around here is 1/2 or 3/4 inch extruded foam insulation. No one carries it in 1 or 2 inch thicknesses, nor will they order less than 20 sheets.

Putting the track directly on your hollow core door bench work should work just fine. There is no hard and fast rule that says you have to use the foam, just because Joe Schmoo uses it. Looking around at the layouts the guys on here have build, you can find plenty of examples where they didn't use foam and they look just great. cnw1961's 58th St., Miami layout is a perfect example: http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169

I put 1/2 inch foam on my bench work and about the only advantage has been is that it has made temporarily pinning down track for testing and operating proposed plans easy. If I was designing a layout that would include a bridge or two and scenery below track level - I wouldn't go the foam route to build it, but rather elevate the sub roadbed to the needed height. As it is with the 1/2 inch foam, I can carve drainage ditches along the track in places and contour the terrain slightly.

I've finally settled on a track plan that I like and am satisfied with. Have temporarily pinned down the track and been operating it some tonight. So far, it's working out great, so in a few days, I'll be starting on it for real.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN Wrote:As it is with the 1/2 inch foam, I can carve drainage ditches along the track in places and contour the terrain slightly.

That is the best reason to use foam. I've mentioned before, but many small terrain features go down, not up. Especially if you are modeling an area that is basically flat. The foam allows you to escape the "plywood pacific" look, as you can carve ditches along the railroad right-of-way, and along roads too. Slight dips can be carved here and there, helping to get rid of the flatness of the plywood. I highly recommend it, even if all that can be found is 1/2". I'd double them up and make 1" thick foam.

Certainly there are tons of great layouts built directly on plywood. But I sure am glad I went with foam to model the flatness of Houston, but perhaps that is because my layout contains not only industrial areas, but rural areas too which need ditches and such. For an ISL, the plywood will probably be fine, as evidenced by some of the great work seen on Big Bue.
Justin,

Glad to see some progress and more importantly, glad to hear you're operating and having FUN! Thumbsup

I use foam primarily for scenic landforms. Even so, it's the white beaded variety. I find it makes just as much or less mess than the pink or blue stuff, depending on how you cut it. It's what Woodland Scenics uses for their trackbed system risers.

As for planning changes, my wife recently suggested we think about getting a fold-out couch/bed for the bonus room where my trains are - for guests. Then we could move my trains into the spare room which is currently her sewing room and our guest room, and then...and then...

Suffice it to say we killed that idea in conversation. Even so, it made me realize I want to get my layout to a level of completion where all track is laid and at least one key scene is completely scenicked, details and all. So this week while I'm off I'll be building a backdrop and pressing on toward the goals I've set.

That said, do you have any concrete goals for construction? Whether you keep them or not, it's good to have some written down, even in a journal or here on this thread. If you don't manage to keep them you can determine why they weren't the right goals (overly ambitious, too many, to complex, etc.) and make better, more achievable goals. If you blow them out of the water and accomplish twice as much as you'd hoped then you'll have a better idea of your abilities!

Don't make new year's resolutions, set layout goals!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Justin, Woodland Scenics does sell foam online, if the local box stores fail you. I believe this is the high-density stuff. For instance:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Scenics-ST1424-Foam-Sheet/dp/B0006KQG66/ref=sr_1_5?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1293481493&sr=1-5">http://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Scenics- ... 493&sr=1-5</a><!-- m -->

You might also call around your area to shops that cater to wargamers (these may be comic book/gaming stores rather than traditional modeling-oriented hobby shops). Those that host wargaming events (e.g., Warhammer) often sell scenery items as well, including foam.
Oh! I thought about this before, but never mentioned it. Surfboard makers use high density foam to make surfboards. Perhaps that would be a source, contact them and see if you can get some from them, or perhaps they can order it for you, or give you the info where they get it.
Gary S Wrote:Oh! I thought about this before, but never mentioned it. Surfboard makers use high density foam to make surfboards. Perhaps that would be a source, contact them and see if you can get some from them, or perhaps they can order it for you, or give you the info where they get it.

I think Paradise is at least 400 miles north of the nearest surfboard maker, and it may be closer to 800 miles. Probably as close as Amarillo is to Houston.
Enough Armchair Modeling!!!
Time To Build Something!!!

While browsing my layout design thread looking for advice I may have missed I Read a post that Bil made about how made a Tymesaver layout where he could run his engines and rolling stock, and practice hand-laying track. Bil's words of wisdom have inspired me to start construction of my own Timesaver variation.

I found a nice timesaver layout that I will use as the base of my design :http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.p...alley-mrc/.

I am not designing this layout to be a "puzzle Layout", but rather a test layout where I can run some trains, Scratchbuild structures, Practice Scenery, and maybe even learn how to hand-lay a turnout Goldth

It is supposed to rain here all next week so I will try to spend as much time as I can working on the railroad. 2285_
Justin Miller
Having built a timesaver in the manner you're describing, I can say it was a great experience. I recommend it to anyone.

But first, what was wrong with the layout you were already building? You were already out of the armchair, or at least I thought you were. What happened to the layout on the hollow core doors? :?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!