Poll: Do You run DC or DCC
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DC
32.69%
17 32.69%
DCC
63.46%
33 63.46%
Arm chair
3.85%
2 3.85%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

DC/DCC
Magnetic reed switches come in several varieties - latching and non-latching, normally "ON" or normally "OFF", etc. Non-latching ones return to their "normal" position once the activator magnet is removed, while latching ones switch to the opposite setting when the magnet is brought close, and latch in the new position.
On a locomotive, the switch would be located between the power source (pick-ups or pick-up wiring) and the motor. This is an even better option than switches to kill track sections - for example, if I send out a loco with a train very close to its tonnage rating and it, for some unrelated reason, stalls on a grade, my present option is to back down the hill, kill the track and send out a helper from the nearest terminal. (Another choice is to split the train and "double" the hill.) With a "kill" switch in the tender, I could leave the loco and train where it stalled, and, because the track is still "live", send out a helper which could couple on to the front or rear of the train. Then, with the switch on the stalled loco reset, the train could proceed. This would also make it easier to add or remove locos to a consist, as it could be done anywhere.
Great suggestion, Les, and something more to keep me busy. Thanks. Goldth

Wayne
Les - that is a great idea! Necessity really IS the mother of invention! What creative thinkers we have here at Big Blue.

I recently operated on a DC powered layout - N scale mainline ops with radio headsets & dispatcher control. There were local blocks/throttles for major industries & yards but most mainline trains were controlled with Aristocraft wireless throttles. I had a great time but there were times when I couldn't tell if the reason my loco stalled was because of the dispatcher forgetting to set blocks for my throttle (which happened quite often, regrettably) or dirty track, dirty wheels, or some other engine flaw. DCC may not have solved the latter problems, but it would have solved some of the former. DCC is no substitute for operators failing to call in OS at stations...unless you have some sort of computerized feedback/dispatching but where's the fun in that?

OTOH, DCC allows cornfield meets in club settings. On my former modular club that began to show up as operators got complacent about watching their train run around the layout (and around, and around and around...can you blame them?) and telescoped some poor caboose crew on the train stalled in front of them or vice versa.

I operate DCC, but for now being able to clip on a power pack and run a DC engine to test trackwork is fine. Just as easy to do that with DCC and a decoder equipped loco, so even those days are numbered on my railroad.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Whoops - double posted somehow. Anyway, decoder pricing is still a factor for me. They are less costly now than they were before but still I have to save for one so that gives me pause to think about it a while before plunging in with the purchase. I'm glad there are so many firms making good quality DCC products.

I have said elsewhere that DCC didn't really simplify anything, it just moved the wiring from outside the loco to inside the loco. Someone on this thread mentioned 'running the layout'. That's essentially what DC is - DCC is running the train, not the layout. So moving the complexity inside the engine isn't all bad, I guess, from that perspective. I don't like wiring. There's a sense of satisfaction in getting it done and seeing it run, but DC engines provide that satisfaction without any additional work.

And as for slow speed running comparable or better than DC, I think that's an issue of the decoder vs. the DC throttle and of course both depend on a good motor in the loco. DCC won't necessarily make a bad motor run like a good one but it may make a good motor run better.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
doctorwayne Wrote:With a "kill" switch in the tender, I could leave the loco and train where it stalled, and, because the track is still "live", send out a helper which could couple on to the front or rear of the train. Then, with the switch on the stalled loco reset, the train could proceed. This would also make it easier to add or remove locos to a consist, as it could be done anywhere.

But DocWayne! DCC would let all of the above and more happen on your layout! C'mon DocWayne, Take the plunge into DCC...

Take the Plunge! Buy DCC! C'mon! DCC!

All you gotta do is intall some bus wires and feeders to supplement the single red-white DC pair you got going to the track now. You'd rather install reed switches in all of your locos than to put in a decoder?

C'mon! Take the plunge! Take the plunge! Jump into DCC!

And if Mr. Nutbar is visiting, each of you can run a seperate train. Come on!

DCC!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
May be a "soft" transition to DCC as I did it might be useful.
I went to my LHS and got for a weekend a DCC controller and three DCC equipped engines for free to test it and make up my mind. I did only detach the DC supply, remove all DC engines and attached the DCC controller, put the DCC engines on the track and switches all DC track switches to ON position to have DCC on all tracks.
That's it. I did play a full weekend and made up my mind.
I do recommend that simple "test" very much.

ps. If you have a good DC wiring you have a good chance it will work for DCC too. You should not worry about that aspect with highest priority.
Reinhard
Gary S Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote:With a "kill" switch in the tender, I could leave the loco and train where it stalled, and, because the track is still "live", send out a helper which could couple on to the front or rear of the train. Then, with the switch on the stalled loco reset, the train could proceed. This would also make it easier to add or remove locos to a consist, as it could be done anywhere.

But DocWayne! DCC would let all of the above and more happen on your layout! C'mon DocWayne, Take the plunge into DCC...

All you gotta do is intall some bus wires and feeders to supplement the single red-white DC pair you got going to the track now. You'd rather install reed switches in all of your locos than to put in a decoder?

DCC!

Or, one could just use one's fingers to rapidly solve the problem, without the cost of converting the whole shebang to DCC. Icon_lol
Gary S Wrote:

DCC!

AWRIGHT ALREADY!! I've just now come out of the layout room after spending all day working on my locos: all thirteen currently on the layout have been converted to DCC. No lights and no sound, though - neither are desired.

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:AWRIGHT ALREADY!! I've just now come out of the layout room after spending all day working on my locos: all thirteen currently on the layout have been converted to DCC. No lights and no sound, though - neither are desired.

Wayne

Ok... I call B.S. on this one. :?

Misngth
Wayne[/quote]

Ok... I call B.S. on this one. :?

Misngth[/quote]
Me too Icon_lol
Charlie
tetters Wrote:Ok... I call B.S. on this one

Cheers

357 Tongue Wink
Sorry Wayne I didn't mean for this to get violent. I was just curious as to how many are DCC compared to DC. I did this on another forum also and both appear to be about the same. I would have to say it is about two to one or a little less have DCC over DC. I switched a couple of years ago for sound. Now that I have it, well sometimes I turn it off and I have the volumes very low, its more realistic in my opinion. I used latching reed switches to control my locomotives before and was content with it. Now that I have gone DCC I won't go back. There are many advantages that I can't explain you just have to get into it and find out for yourself. I am pretty much a one man operation right now and I like the simplicity of it. I may go back to operating sessions again. That is pretty cool seeing you empire operating as a real Railroad with several trains running in different directions at one time.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
I'd hardly call this violent. I see a bunch of RR goons having a good time giving each other a good ribbing.

Personally, I got into DCC because I was new to the hobby at about 5 years ago. It only made sense to me to invest in the current tech and well, sometime you just have to roll the hard six.

I also belong to the camp that if it feels good and you enjoy it just do it. so long as no one else get hurt in the process... :? :o

Misngth Cheers 357
Cheers

My thoughts exactly. Big Grin
Icon_lol 357 357 357 Icon_lol

When I read doctorwayne's post I was drinking a black cherry soda ...

... I now have "bubbly sinus!"

Yeah ... thanks, Doc ... I laughed immediately ... and then pulled on my waders!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I know it was all in fun. I don't know if he was joking about 13 active locomotives being converted or not. That is his choice just like he can vote for who he wants, it is a free country. OH WAIT A MINUTE !!!! I'm sorry I forgot he is in Canada. Big Grin
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/