Mt. Union Connecting Railroad Co. - Layout Progress Thread
Hey guys. As I said in the APRR progress thread, I am not able to build the Apple Peak Railroad & Coal Co. layout, but my persistance in modeling a piece of Huntingdon County/Broad Top Mountain history is unwavering.

I have decided to model a shortline running from Mt. Union, PA to Allenport, PA, operating from a connection with Norfolk Southern, over the East Broad Top and ex-PRR main from before the 1907 re-alignment, and serving an industrial park named the Riverview Business Center.

I have several industries planned that are not actually in the park, but the one industry that will be there will be a company named Sylco, who pulled out of locating in the park, and caused the line to lose a major traffic source. I also plan to have the rail-served portion of a GERN refinery there. The only other sources of traffic will be a truck-to-train transfer structure and the loading dock that was built from ties just north of the Jefferson Street grade crossing in Mt. Union.

I plan to make the layout from 9 modules. I'll be sure to keep you guys in the loop on the layout progress.
It's always nice to see a new layout started. We will await more posts, and PICTURES.
It sounds like a great idea, and you can always add the EBT to it anytime you get bored.
Charlie
That sounds great! Thumbsup

Pictures...we need pictures! Big Grin
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Cheers :needpics:
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
The wonderful thing about the layout is that Mt. Union Yard, while only operated with two tracks, several tracks on either side will be modeled, and all of them have cars sitting on them, mostly EBT cars, though not recognizable as them.

I actually just got payed $40 by my brother, so I have some money to start working. I have to get some wood to start making the sides and bottoms of the modules with. Do any of you guys know of any module designs I could use? I'm new to the concept, so I don't know how they are made, or how they are connected. Each of them will have no more than 2 tracks that actually get hooked up, the rest are not going to be operable. Each module will only be a foot wide.

I will probably be alone in operating it, but it could be operated realisitcly and enjoyably by a couple of people.
Why modules?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I decided it would be easier to transport them than to transport a solid piece of layout when i have to move. It will also allow me to store them out of the way when I am not going to use them. When I want to run trains, I can pull them out of the corner, put them together, and run trains!
If you are going to build modules why not build them to work with other modular railroads? There are many clubs around the state of Pa, and someday you might want to join with one. The standards are here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nmra.org/standards/modules/ms_intro.html">http://www.nmra.org/standards/modules/ms_intro.html</a><!-- m -->
Charlie
Charlie, you make a good point. Looking over the page you linked to, I saw a certain kind of thing called a Transition Module. That would be perfect, as I could then model my shortline so that it fit with modular clubs' layouts, but then my other modules don't get accidentally mixed up.
There have been a couple articles in MR recently and a special edition on railroading in less space (Kalmbach) that address using modular segments in a home setting, tying them into a home layout.

Don't forget Free-mo!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!