Deano's Rail Fan Pics: ENGINES
UP SD40-2 Wrote:the CNW Heritage unit and CNW Dash-9's are usually stored at the IRM when not in use to keep vandals from them, Great idea, 5 stars to UP for taking good care of those units! AGAIN, you live in a Great place to railfan!

They aren't store at IRM, but rather show up there for special events frequently. lRM would be to out-of-the-way for that anyway.
Ya know Deano...I started as a "casual" UP fan...but a few years ago, some guy on these web boards who's crazy about UP started me thinking about adding some UP power to my roster. Now the mighty UP is quickly becoming my largest company represented on my rail. Those (Kato) UP Heritage units are just fantastic to look at and sure look good running my layout. I might end up getting all of them, just to have them while they last! The UP Flag unit, SP, and D&RGW look great hitched together. They're all closely matched in speed (didn't need to change any CV values to run them together). I've got the MoPac on order (Aug/Sep delivery) and might add the CNW and WP to round out the fleet. You wouldn't happen to know the guy that started this UP trend on my layout would you? Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Hi Deano---even though I'm a Canadian National "nutbar",I've always like Uncle Pete---here's a couple of shots taken a long time ago at Brownsville Texas while on vacation in that area--- too bad I didn't know Gus back then,we could have done some railfanning Cheers

[Image: 2009ns5010.jpg]

[Image: 2009ns5008.jpg]
CNNut...We sure could have.....There's some action locally, but about 2 hrs. away there's a veritable pot o' gold of training going on...Mostly that armour yellow stuff.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
railohio Wrote:They aren't store at IRM, but rather show up there for special events frequently. lRM would be to out-of-the-way for that anyway.
Sorry Brian, but i got that info from Jim (cant remember last name :oops: , starts with an N)in the Diesel Dept. at the IRM last year Thumbsup :mrgreen: . Dad keeps the Spalding tower cam on top of his screen 24/7 and noticed those engines would show up now and then, even on NON-event days & the winter, thats why we made it a point to ask :mrgreen: .

Herc, i have NO CLUE as to who that crazy UP fan was that got you started liking UP Misngth , but i STRONGLY feel he should be commended :mrgreen: .

Awesome shots nutbar! Thumbsup :mrgreen: , Glad to know Uncle Pete has friends in Canada too! :mrgreen:
(Honestly nutbar, i hate to say it but i never thought about CN much until i met You, you made a CN fan of sorts out of me :mrgreen: ) .

**No new shots now, but sometime tonight or tomorrow i'll post a slue of UP GP's in my area, or perhaps i'll pull out the big guns and post some shots of UP's LARGER engines i have taken pics of Wink .
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Icon_lol Yeah...whomever that crazy UP fan is...my LHS owner would like to thank him for adding quite a few "special order" sales from his store over these past years since I've been adding UP engines to my collection. Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
UP SD40-2 Wrote:
viperman Wrote:Deano, I'm sure you saw in my posts in the Railfanning UP thread that I was able to get a picture of both of the Olympic units. On the same tracks I've also seen the CNW heritage unit and the United Way unit, among others. Do you know if UP keeps those anywhere along these tracks somewhere, or they were just lucky sightings?

Steven, yes, i have seen your posts in that thread, cripes, i even mentioned you when i posted in it :mrgreen: .

I'm sorry, but i dont know much about the Olympic units, considering where you are i would strongly guess they are working out of Proviso yard Wink , lucky you, your railfanning is much better then mine. The CNW Heritage unit, and both CNW Dash-9's have been mostly running together for better then a year now right around what was once known as the Belvedere sub, now that sub is just part of the Chicago service center, UP has restructured the areas you and i live in, pretty much just done away with the subs.
i find it a bit odd because that part of the line was run with several GP15's but i havent seen any there for awhile. the main clients for UP on that line is Chysler and several large grain stops. the CNW Heritage unit and CNW Dash-9's are usually stored at the IRM when not in use to keep vandals from them, Great idea, 5 stars to UP for taking good care of those units! AGAIN, you live in a Great place to railfan!

I on the other hand rarely see anything real neat Sad , i live by what was once the "Harvard yard" in Janesville, NOW known as UP's "North Chicago Service Center". Locals here are run with MP15DC's, MP15AC's, GP38's and GP40's. The large units that run here come from Proviso yard nightly, 99% of them are Dash-9's and AC4400's , we hardly ever see any SD70ACe's my way Sad . there used to be quite a few SD40-2's that ran through here, dont see many of them anymore either. Every now and then a tunnel motor will show up, thats cause for a party! :mrgreen: , but thats about as good as it gets in my neck of the woods :| .
One of these days I have to get off my duff (as you call it) and take the drive over to do some railfanning. Not long after you were talking about how there are only 3 CNW Dash-9s, I started spotting them a lot, and of course it was never convenient for me to get a picture of them Wallbang since then I've spotted one CNW dash-9 and that was patched Wallbang I'll definitely need to keep my eyes open and do some fanning
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->
Hmmm...I swear I read a thread by Deano yesterday telling about his "involvment" with the PC train simulator, and why this has kept him from posting on here more often.....But I can't find it anywhere....Was I dreaming, or did it get lost in cyberspace..?? Nope
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Hmmm...I swear I read a thread by Deano yesterday telling about his "involvment" with the PC train simulator, and why this has kept him from posting on here more often.....But I can't find it anywhere....Was I dreaming, or did it get lost in cyberspace..?? Nope
It was removed at his request - He'll be posting more in the next week or so. Big Grin Big Grin I can't wait!!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Thanks Mikey....I was beginning to think my abstinence from "training" (I'm on vacation... 2285_ )was beginning to have its effects...
Gus (LC&P).
ngauger Wrote:
Steamtrains Wrote:Hmmm...I swear I read a thread by Deano yesterday telling about his "involvment" with the PC train simulator, and why this has kept him from posting on here more often.....But I can't find it anywhere....Was I dreaming, or did it get lost in cyberspace..?? Nope
It was removed at his request - He'll be posting more in the next week or so. Big Grin Big Grin I can't wait!!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Gus, my involvment is i am TOTALLY hooked on Trainz right now :mrgreen: , and Mikey is 100% correct Thumbsup , i had the thread taken down, i decided i put it in the wrong section of this forum, and i am STILL downloading neat stuff for it, so i wanted to wait a bit so i can stock up on TONS of screen shots! :mrgreen:

Thanks for asking!
OK, back to chipping away at posting the TONS of railfan pics i have taken over the years :mrgreen:

Here's a few taken at Rochelle and in Janesville...

[Image: DSC015222.jpg]

[Image: DSC02473.jpg]

[Image: DSC01524.jpg]

[Image: DSC01116.jpg]

[Image: DSC01114.jpg]

[Image: DSC01089.jpg]

[Image: DSC01087.jpg]

[Image: DSC01081.jpg]

[Image: DSC01078.jpg]

[Image: DSC01071.jpg]

[Image: DSC01064.jpg]

[Image: DSC00149.jpg]
As usual, some great pics there! BTW, have you checked the Railfanning UP thread recently? Added some more pics to it
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->
Deano,More good pictures..
I must admit I been a closet fan of the U.P for years...As a teenager I had a United U.P. 0-6-0 and 2 Athearn U.P GP7s..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Excellent shots Deano---the lighting is perfect to highlight all the features,especially the trucks---nice addition with the "red unit" as well