Deano's Rail Fan Pics: ENGINES
Deano, does the U.P. operate any of those funny looking switchers that they "kitbashed" with sw and gp9's in your area?
Hi Deano,

Awesome pics Thumbsup forgive my ignorence but what is the box on the loco side for in the first pic after the C of U.P. ?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Hey Deano...A great collection of pics, as always....AND you even managed to put in a couple of steamers in there... Goldth
Speaking of which...what is that little gismo in the 3rd picture down in Thursday's posting ? (The one that starts with the Electroliner...)
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Hey Deano...A great collection of pics, as always....AND you even managed to put in a couple of steamers in there... Goldth
Speaking of which...what is that little gismo in the 3rd picture down in Thursday's posting ? (The one that starts with the Electroliner...)

Gus, it looks like a fireless steam engine. They were used by industries that had stationary steam plants. The locomotive would be parked where it could be hooked up to a steam line and the tank would be filled with steam. The locomotive would operate on that steam until pressure started to drop at which point they would move it back to the steam line to re-pressurize the tank.
Russ, your talking about UP's famous shop built SW10's Thumbsup , no i havent seen any up here, but i would love it if there was one here :mrgreen: . I have been wanting to kitbash one for years, but to many projects keep getting piled on ahead of it. I am not even sure if any are around anymore, i have seen pics of them out west in the past.

upnick Wrote:Hi Deano,

Awesome pics Thumbsup forgive my ignorence but what is the box on the loco side for in the first pic after the C of U.P. ?
Nick, there are NO ignorant questions Wink , i would be happy to answer yours :mrgreen: , the box your talking about are on the MP15DC's , they are the front sand box's Thumbsup (note the filler caps at the top of them)

Gus, Russ is 110% CORRECT! Thumbsup , honestly i never knew what those engines were or how they worked until last weekend when doctorwayne explained it to me while we were at the IRM Wink .

THANKS for the interest and questions folks! :mrgreen:

EDIT: I just came back from dropping my son off at the airport, on the way back i scouted the S.Beloit UP & ICE yards, if i can get the motivation to get off my duff tomorrow i'll have some NEW shots to add to this thread :mrgreen: ...if not, well, i'll add some more older shots Misngth .
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Deano, I'm sure you saw in my posts in the Railfanning UP thread that I was able to get a picture of both of the Olympic units. On the same tracks I've also seen the CNW heritage unit and the United Way unit, among others. Do you know if UP keeps those anywhere along these tracks somewhere, or they were just lucky sightings?
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->
viperman Wrote:Deano, I'm sure you saw in my posts in the Railfanning UP thread that I was able to get a picture of both of the Olympic units. On the same tracks I've also seen the CNW heritage unit and the United Way unit, among others. Do you know if UP keeps those anywhere along these tracks somewhere, or they were just lucky sightings?

Steven, yes, i have seen your posts in that thread, cripes, i even mentioned you when i posted in it :mrgreen: .

I'm sorry, but i dont know much about the Olympic units, considering where you are i would strongly guess they are working out of Proviso yard Wink , lucky you, your railfanning is much better then mine. The CNW Heritage unit, and both CNW Dash-9's have been mostly running together for better then a year now right around what was once known as the Belvedere sub, now that sub is just part of the Chicago service center, UP has restructured the areas you and i live in, pretty much just done away with the subs.
i find it a bit odd because that part of the line was run with several GP15's but i havent seen any there for awhile. the main clients for UP on that line is Chysler and several large grain stops. the CNW Heritage unit and CNW Dash-9's are usually stored at the IRM when not in use to keep vandals from them, Great idea, 5 stars to UP for taking good care of those units! AGAIN, you live in a Great place to railfan!

I on the other hand rarely see anything real neat Sad , i live by what was once the "Harvard yard" in Janesville, NOW known as UP's "North Chicago Service Center". Locals here are run with MP15DC's, MP15AC's, GP38's and GP40's. The large units that run here come from Proviso yard nightly, 99% of them are Dash-9's and AC4400's , we hardly ever see any SD70ACe's my way Sad . there used to be quite a few SD40-2's that ran through here, dont see many of them anymore either. Every now and then a tunnel motor will show up, thats cause for a party! :mrgreen: , but thats about as good as it gets in my neck of the woods :| .
Quote:Nick, there are NO ignorant questions Wink , i would be happy to answer yours :mrgreen: , the box your talking about are on the MP15DC's , they are the front sand box's Thumbsup (note the filler caps at the top of them)

Hi Deano,

Thanks you for that i have a Proto U.P. SW9 i could do with adding some more details to including ditches but have trouble identifying loco types and wondered if it was ok to add on.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
upnick Wrote:Hi Deano,

Thanks you for that i have a Proto U.P. SW9 i could do with adding some more details to including ditches but have trouble identifying loco types and wondered if it was ok to add on.
Nick, your asking me a tuff question, the great thing about model RRing is you can really do anything you want Wink . If your trying to be more prototypical then i would say put them on because i looked at your thread where your doing the "Beer line", and seen your engines were fairly modern, so ditch lights would be present. Honestly, i havent seen UP's current engine roster so i'm not even sure they are still using SW9's :oops: . When detailing engines, especially current ones, a good place to start is over at Railpictures.net , they have TONS of Great shots to go by when detailing engines, their search engine is great too, you can get specific on what your searching for over there Thumbsup .

THOSE GLORIOUS GP'S! ...or, i got off my duff and took some NEW pics today! Misngth

Yes, thats right, for the first time in months i got some NEW pictures today! :mrgreen:
I stayed right in my back yard and went to S.Beloit, stopped at UP's industrial park, then headed over to ICE's West Yard.

For UP i found they had 1360, 1361, and 1362 all together! neat huh :mrgreen:

For ICE i only seen #4207 the 'City of S.Beloit" , in S.BELOIT, i just love it when that happens! :mrgreen:

So here you go folks, ALL NEW SHOTS taken by ME today in S.Beloit.

[Image: DSC03779.jpg]

[Image: DSC03782.jpg]

[Image: DSC03788.jpg]

[Image: DSC03800.jpg]

[Image: DSC03805.jpg]

[Image: DSC03811.jpg]

[Image: DSC03817.jpg]

[Image: 4207ice.jpg]
Deano, I used to see a lot of Sw10's working industries around So Cal, but I don't remember seeing any lately. Since the merger with CNW and SP, Up may have acquired enough switch engines to get rid of the Sw10's. I don't know what the CNW had, but the SP had a bunch of Mp15ac's.
UP kept one SW10 to switch their heritage equipment. The rest were withdrawn around or shortly after the mergers.
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!
Deano,Great topic and great pictures.. Thumbsup

Thanks for sharing..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Russ, the CNW had a lot of MP15DC's :mrgreen:

Triplex, Thanks for the info on the SW10's ! Thumbsup , Glad to see you here! :mrgreen: , i always could count on you filling in the blanks and answering the questions most of us couldnt Wink .

Thanks Larry! :mrgreen:
Quote:Deano wrote
Nick, your asking me a tuff question, the great thing about model RRing is you can really do anything you want Wink . If your trying to be more prototypical then i would say put them on because i looked at your thread where your doing the "Beer line", and seen your engines were fairly modern, so ditch lights would be present. Honestly, i havent seen UP's current engine roster so i'm not even sure they are still using SW9's :oops: . When detailing engines, especially current ones, a good place to start is over at Railpictures.net , they have TONS of Great shots to go by when detailing engines, their search engine is great too, you can get specific on what your searching for over there Thumbsup .

Thanks for that Deano Thumbsup i'm not doing the beer line layout though Icon_lol i changed the plan a while back due to real estate space Icon_lol
viperman Wrote:Do you know if UP keeps those anywhere along these tracks somewhere, or they were just lucky sightings?

Luck. Officially they're in the general pool and roam the system but some apparent railfans at Proviso place the units in a Proviso to Global III pool that will keep them in northern Illinois for stretches at a time. Same goes for the remaining Northwestern units and heritage unit as well.