Paint help
So I have these Stewart AS16's that need the handrails painted Pullman Green. Pollyscale Pullman Green is way too light, it matched P2K but definitely not Stewart. I understand Stewart is best matched with Scalecoat paints. So I ordered some Scalecoat II Pullman Green, both a bottle and a spray can to do the undec Atlas RS-3's I have as well.
Seems to me that even to brush this stuff it will need to be thinned. I tried paiting a handrail and the Scalecoat went on thick and was hard to smooth out. That's issue #1 - unless I'm missing something, I'll need to thin this down even for brushing.
Issue 2 - it didn;t really match that well after drying. In fact, it looks nearly the same as the unpainted black handrails. It doesn't look nearly that dark in the bottle. But then given Stewart's tendency to not paint portions of the shell covered by equipment boxes or the cab sides, I took a chance and put a small patch of paint on one of those unpainted areas. When that dried, it seemed to match pretty closely. Not sure why the handrails came out so dark - as did a small piece of .010x.030 styrene I painted to use as drip rails on the cab roof. It all looks black. Just the patch on the shell actually loosk green. I had no problem with the Pollyscale right from the bottle, it made a nice thin even coat, it just comes out too light a green and it really stands out against the Stewart body shell. I'd try the spray and see if it's any better but it's much too cold and windy to go outside and paint right now. What the heck is going on?

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
I went from thinning all my airbrush paints with water to thinning with alcohol. One or two drops of white should lighten it up. Definately do a couple of test strips before painting the hand rails or cab.

Larry