Hobby shops in Reading, Pa?
I was thinking on expanding my hobby shop visit list to Reading and the surrounding area, I was wondering what hobby shops are there and are they any good, what kind of selection they have.

Two names that come up in searches are Iron Horse Hobby and G & K
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
That's it, plus Hobbytown. Hobbytown does have a full selection of all sizes of styrene shapes, and a decent selection of paint (although 'local' colors are almost always sold out). Other than that, forget it.
Iron Horse, not too bad, train section still has a decent mix of stuff. Biggest problem is location, parking is a pain (and costs - and don't go a second over, the bankrupt city of Reading is waiting to pounce the instant the meter expires), and the neighborhood isn't so great anymore. They also have very limited hours, closing early in the evenings (like 5 or 6), probably for this reason.
G&K, haven't been there.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
Thanks Randy, I actually decided to trot down there right after I posted that. Just like you described. Icon_lol

G&K turned out to be a wash, located in a bad part of town, the directions lead to a row house Nope

Will follow up after I'm finished driving around
Tom

Model Conrail

Well Tom Haven't been to either of those places, If they turn out alright I'll make a few return trips with you . Icon_lol Remember safety in numbers Icon_lol
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
OK home now.

Iron Horse Hobby House. I went on a sunday so parking wasn't bad, I got a hi when I walked through the door, browsed around a decent sized store, average prices, average items, heavily Reading supportive (good thing in the area) must of been in there for about an hour. Definitely got the vibe that you need to go to the workers for assistance instead of them asking you. The time between me putting the stuff on the counter and paying for a small amount of stuff (6 A-Line Wiper Sets, 1 Athearn Axle Set) the attitude got sour 790_smiley_picking_a_fight. Guy seemed snooty that I spent less than $30. Really? I drove 60mi for that? Not worth going back.

Dead End was G & K Hobby Center also listed in Reading. bad area of town. No storefront though, no idea if it's even a house business Popcornbeer
G & K Hobby Center (610) 374-8598 720 Gordon St, Reading, PA

Another dead end was Otts Hobbies, in another bad part of town. It was listed online so I checked the address, no go. Nope
Ott's Hobbies (610) 373-8735, 536 N 10th St Reading, Pennsylvania 19604-2715
Tom

Model Conrail

G&K is in business, a lot of the guys in the RCT&HS get stuff through him, in fact he's a corporate sponsor of the society. I too bagged though after realizing which area of town it was in. Can't say I'm unhappy to have gotten out of that hellhole about a year and a half ago.

Never heard of Ott's, or maybe I did - in 1950's issues of MR LOL. I don't think that has been around in forever. Iron Horse has been pretty consistent - they have moved at least once but they were there back int he 50's.

--Randy

It's one of the problems with the internet, everything is there BUT the updates, couldn't tell you how many times I've seen hobby shops listed and found a Dentist in the building instead. 35
Tom

Model Conrail

Surprised it didn;t list the one up in Leesport - that isn't there anymore. Was pretty much a train-only shop, and he had a good selection of stuff. Good prices, too, but he didn't last long. There was a nice layout under construction in the place too. Not a great location, an old school they turned into retail shops, not much parking and not easy to get in and out of.

--Randy

Was that one listed in the Leesport Flea Market? I tried that one a few months ago with my wife, that was another disappointment, they shut that down and made way for mini-malls
Tom

Model Conrail

No, it down the road from the Farmer's Market - which is still there and still in business. There is also a train show there twice a year put on by the RCT&HS.

--Randy