Aristo 0-4-0 paint job
Hi!

Found this forum while looking for resources for painting my Aristo 0-4-0. I hadn't meant to do a thread but finding this forum, now I think I will.

Check out this link for an old but awesome 0-4-0 Mantua build, with LOTS of extra details!
http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=22&t=4297

Here is how mine came to me, off Evilbay, and with no other accessories. If I remember right, I paid $45.
[Image: yIdMJrf.jpg]

This is my goal, a loco sitting at Pennsylvania Railroad Museum, Strasburg PA.:
[Image: xonwm78.jpg]

I took it apart and started painting. Here's after some flat black:
[Image: 5zohbAo.jpg?1]

I painted the front grey, but I didn't get it dark enough:
[Image: i8JjeUu.jpg]

I just laid some new darker grey on but have not taken new pictures yet. I will soon, and will do some details on the backhead, and then will update this.

Hope you enjoyed.
Mike, from DieCastoms
Hi Mike, and welcome to Big Blue. I am glad you found it. PRR steam switchers are lacking on my layout. I would like to have a couple each of the 0-4-0, 0-6-0 and 0-8-0 locomotives. I am disappointed that no one makes a ready to run version of any quality so I will eventually have to kitbash. I will follow your thread and see if I can steal some talent. I have ideas, but the talent lacks. Icon_lol
Charlie
Charlie,

I fear it will be the blind leading the blind! Tongue

I have contacted Strasburg Railroad Museum in Strasburg PA to ask for a couple sorta-specific photos of their #94 0-4-0, particularly, the backhead and interior of the cab, and the air compressor which seems to be notoriously huge, and improperly located? We shall see if they respond, or not. It is a long shot but, as they say, can't hurt to ask, and the worst that can happen is they say no, right?

I am sitting here staring at her, today .. and wondering what the hell I should do next ... I want to paint the roof, but cannot decide what color.. the photos I have that ARE color and show the roof at all lead me to believe a gloss black would work, but on the other hand there is so MUCH black on this loco (yes, I know, it's a steamer, most are black) that I'd just .. like some OTHER color on it too, and since I did the smokebox in grey, it leads one to think that maybe this was a slightly showier loco than just lost in the bowls of an inglenook somewhere ...

I am at a loss whether to paint the sidegear, or not.. Again, the majority of photos I can find that ARE color show them all black.

The more I work on her, the more I want two things: a slopeback tender, but maybe NOT the aristo? Comparing photos of the Aristo tender to 1:1, the Aristo is SERIOUSLY truncated . . . This shows that the flat top of the tender is at least half the length of the tender [Image: prr677.jpg] but the aristo tender's flat tp is less than a quarter the length of the tender ... If I could find them for the right price, maybe cut two 'in half' and extend one with the other? I highly doubt I could do a 'filler' on my own without simply destroying the tender . . .

anyways, just some thoughts from the BB's in my boxcar, this morning.

Mike.
For what it is worth, I just found this information on #94 at the Railroad Museum of PA's site, which includes their equipment roster:

Catalog No.
RR79.40.3A

Primary Owner When In Service
Pennsylvania Railroad

Name/Type/Road No.
No. 94

Builder
Juniata

Date

Class
A5s

Configuration
0-4-0

Length (coupler end to coupler end)
55' 3"

Weight
131,750 lbs

Date Acquired / Method
12/1979 Gift

Source (non-public data)
Penn Central Corp.

Notes
PRR Historic Collection

Hope this is useful to someone else!
[Image: tR6rPop.jpg?1]
Mikee, this may be of some help some where <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bowser-trains.com/docs/instructions/A5webref.pdf">http://www.bowser-trains.com/docs/instr ... webref.pdf</a><!-- m -->
Charlie