PRR A5 0-4-0
You're absolutely right - never throw anything away until you've considered any model railroad purposes. And that mesh does look super for a spark arrestor, but it doesn't look like it would fit in the stack. If that doesn't bug you, that's okay. To me it's one of those details that would seem essential but not at the expense of not looking like it could actually work. Just my 2 cents. Outstanding work all around.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I was wondering what that ring around the stack was for....Thanks for enlightning us ignoramii... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
How does the prototype spark arrestor fit the stack? The way it hangs off of the stack it looks like it would just swing over like the the whistling spout on a tea kettle, but if that is the case it would be too big to fit in the stack. On the other hand if it has some sort of swivel that allows it to go over the stack "dome" up so that it covers the top of the stack rather than sit down into the stack, it may be correct. I don't model Pennsy, so I haven't looked closely at prototype loco photos. Really nice build.
Looks to me like it covered the top and had a swivel.

[Image: prr477s.jpg]
[Image: a5_09.jpg]
[Image: a5_10.jpg]
[Image: a5_13.jpg]
-Dave
A swivel would make sense, though a hinge would be simpler and none of the prototype photos show an absolute necessity for a swivel, rather, a hinge would suffice. If it IS a swivel, then problem solved. If it's a hinge then the spark arrestor is mounted on the wrong side (on the model).

Galen
A swivel really isn't all that complicated, and I think I found just what you need to see to match how you modeled your loco...
[Image: prr1690.jpg]
[Image: prr855.jpg]
[Image: prr677.jpg]
[Image: prr677sa.jpg]

I think the 1690 and 855 show the assembly quite well. This site http://www.northeast.railfan.net/prr_steam1.html
has some FANTASTIC photos of the PRR A5s that you may find helpful.

Dave
-Dave
So maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why is there the need to remove the spark arrestor in the first place - why can't it be permanently left in place (with of course a way to remove it when maintenance is being done)?

What reminds the crew to swing it into place and to remove it once the danger zone is passed? Wouldn't it be hot and heavy to handle?
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
ngaugingnut Wrote:So maybe I'm missing something obvious, but why is there the need to remove the spark arrestor in the first place - why can't it be permanently left in place (with of course a way to remove it when maintenance is being done)?

What reminds the crew to swing it into place and to remove it once the danger zone is passed? Wouldn't it be hot and heavy to handle?

I asked the same question, when I watched the fireman unbolting, and opening slightly, the spark arresting screen on the #5 Shay at Cass Scenic.
The answer: If the screen is left in place, it clogs with ash, and unburned coal, and sometime in the middle of the night, shuts off the draft, that keeps the fire burning in the firebox ( combustion requires fuel-heat-and oxygen -- draft --).
It's a long process to restart the fire and bring the boiler back up to pressure, so ---- the screen is removed, or at least opened some to allow the fire to "breathe", and just a few shovels full, of coal, brings the loco back to operation.

Puddlejumper, Many thanks for the great detail shots of the A5's. I wasn't able to find many. Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Puddlejumper, Many thanks for the great detail shots of the A5's. I wasn't able to find many. Thumbsup

It took some effort, but the A5s is my all time favorite lokey, so I was well motivated! Goldth
-Dave
Love that shot of #877....!! Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Thanks S250 for the explanation, that now make sense. Amazing what you can learn on this forum. Big Grin
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
ngaugingnut Wrote:Thanks S250 for the explanation, that now make sense. Amazing what you can learn on this forum. Big Grin

Not every one of us can be "in the right place at the right time", to see, hear, and learn all the hows whys and whos, of railroading, and the associated details of the railroading world.
It's only in a place like this, Big Blue, that the tidbits can be assembled, and disseminated to all who visit here.
In that sense, yes, it is quite amazing what one can learn on this forum.
The diversity of experience, and knowledge, the pure chance encounters that would be almost impossible to collect in any other way, are provided here by the geographical, cultural, and educational diversity of our members.
You are most welcome, ngaugingnut, and I forward your thanks to all our members whose contributions of information, have made what can be learned here, so truly amazing.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
The final chapter.

[Image: dsc01241vfbb.jpg]

[Image: dsc01243sfs8.jpg]

Here the little A5 has got her decaling and her final details, ready for switching. Do'nt ask how i managed to fit the tiny lenses of the marker lights. It was a story with tape, CA glued together fingers and much "not so political correct expressions" Curse
But she runs woderful.

[Image: dsc01963dirl.jpg]
Here we did some fun photos during the build of an commercial exhibition layout of European prototype.

[Image: dsc02365b8zm.jpg]
And that is my next project. The built of switching layout, the A5 and my other switchers must have an home.

I have read your remarks about the spark arrestor. Those photos i have recherched before the built, but it is not allowed in Gemany to set deep links because of copy rights. Only common links are allowed when public acessible. I studied about two hundred photos and found every A5 is individual. E.g. when you look only to the tender trucks you found several types of trucks. And there are much more details which differs from loco to loco.
Thank you for watching the built of the A5 out of an Bowser kit.

Lutz
Thank you for sharing your build! I will likely use this thread as an instruction of sorts when I do mine. Fantastic work, thanks again!!
-Dave
SUPER!! Really nice modeling. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Any chance of a video to see how she runs?

Galen