Just Got My Birthday Present
As requested, here are a few more images from one of my on-line albums:

An aerial view of the Royal Gorge suspension bridge - alt. 1100 ft. above the river. Note the tiny tracks below!
[Image: RoyalGorge01.jpg]

A different aerial view of the Gorge.
[Image: Royal_Gorge02.jpg]

The Gorge before the bridge:
[Image: royal_gorgeo3.jpg]

Old postcard view of the Royal Gorge train:
[Image: royal-gorge04.jpg]

Old photo of the Royal Gorge and Hanging Bridge:
[Image: RpyalGorge05.jpg]

The funicular down to an area just above the hanging bridge:
[Image: RoyalGorge06.jpg]

The normal state of the Gorge river - a stage 5 rapids and extremely dangerous.
[Image: RoyalGorge07.jpg]

Paralleling the east end of the Gorge, these are the old tunnels dug by convict labor to bring water to the northern part of Canon City. Unfortunately, the blaster miscalculated and blew out the windows and cracked walls at St. Scholastica Girls Academy, several miles away, causing the project to be dropped before completion. Confusedhock:
[Image: RoyalGorge08.jpg]
I think that postcard view was in a book I had in childhood (and still have!). Always wanted to go but never knew just where it was.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
"An aerial view of the Royal Gorge suspension bridge - alt. 1100 ft. above the river. Note the tiny tracks below! "

Just for the sake of perspective -----
1100' If accurately modeled in HO, is 12' , 7- 23/32".......deep man,.......real deep.
That really is some spectacular country there, makes the ocean, in the teeth of a gale, seem like "flatland".
( and being on the ocean, in the teeth of a gale, didn't even feel like "flatland" )
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks for sharing with some great pictures....great clarity.
We have some people talking about trying to model the Royal Gorge at our club. That may change their mind when I tell them it takes over 12' 7" to model the gorge to an accurate HO depth. 357 357
dwight77
dwight77 Wrote:Thanks for sharing with some great pictures....great clarity.
We have some people talking about trying to model the Royal Gorge at our club. That may change their mind when I tell them it takes over 12' 7" to model the gorge to an accurate HO depth. 357 357
dwight77

Even in N-scale it would be floor-to-ceiling rocks! Thumbsup
Mountain Man......in N Scale we would be ok.....our building has 10' ceilings.....the N Scale gorge is ONLY 6' 10 1/2". We have three feet to spare and get our wiring in under the gorge. 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
dwight77
dwight77 Wrote:Mountain Man......in N Scale we would be ok.....our building has 10' ceilings.....the N Scale gorge is ONLY 6' 10 1/2". We have three feet to spare and get our wiring in under the gorge. 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
dwight77

Still a duanting proposition! Thumbsup
MountainMan Wrote:Still a duanting proposition! Thumbsup

------------------Or, at the least, an "engorged" undertaking. Eek Yup, I said it! Icon_lol
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:Still a duanting proposition! Thumbsup

------------------Or, at the least, an "engorged" undertaking. Eek Yup, I said it! Icon_lol

Groooooan....ugh! Wallbang
As beautiful as I remember. Thank you for sharing.

Another nice perspective is in an open gondola car. I didn't see one in the consist. Do they still use it?

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
FiatFan Wrote:As beautiful as I remember. Thank you for sharing.

Another nice perspective is in an open gondola car. I didn't see one in the consist. Do they still use it?

Tom

They do - it was the next to last car.