Women and model trains
I spoke with Elizabeth Allen at the last Western Prototype Modelers meet in San Bernardino. She models S.P. and had done some of the most super detailed S.P. diesels I've ever seen!
Yes, Betsys models are the reason that the expression " Museum Quality" was invented - a lady with astounding modelling abilities!
Absolutely. Betsy's models are the epitome of perfection.
-Dave
tetters Wrote:Just to give you an idea of what my wife thinks of the hobby.

The other day while working on my latest project, she saunters over to the table and in her best baby talk impersonation asks...

"Are you building a little house for your choo choos?"

'Nuff said.

Icon_lol Icon_lol

OUCH!!!
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
yellowlynn Wrote:Nobody has mentioned "Spitfire" and her great modeling. Lynn

:oops: :oops: :oops: Thanks, Lynn----I just love being embarrassed..not to mention, getting old and senile......but you're right! Val has exceptional talent, and has built some "knock your socks off" scenes on her layout. In addition to superb modeling skills, she has "the eye" for what makes a scene look real, and, I must say, throws a "great Gauge Bar-B-que".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Just make sure your wife doesn't try to "N-scale" you!! Icon_lol
MountainMan Wrote:Just make sure your wife doesn't try to "N-scale" you!! Icon_lol

Actually, she never really appreciated the trains, but-----18 years after the divorce, she still likes to show people this:

I was able to shoot this picture, and several others, when I made a few minor repairs, recently.
The 1/64th scale, plank on frame model, is of a 40' Gaff Cutter that I laid out the lines for, built, constructed a case for, and gave to her.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
tetters Wrote:Just to give you an idea of what my wife thinks of the hobby.

The other day while working on my latest project, she saunters over to the table and in her best baby talk impersonation asks...

"Are you building a little house for your choo choos?"

'Nuff said.

Icon_lol Icon_lol

That's exactly the kind of 'sentiment' my wife has for my trains, rolling eyes and laughs at my expense etc. I don't quite understand her passion for clothes and shoes though, but we tolerate it from each other. She does look great in the stuff she buys however! That sort of thing is never going to work with me when buying a box car or whatever :-)

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I spoke with Elizabeth Allen at the last Western Prototype Modelers meet in San Bernardino. She models S.P. and had done some of the most super detailed S.P. diesels I've ever seen!

I've always loved that SDP45 she built, i've seen photos on the internet and it is IMPRESSIVE. That is the sort of thing i wish i knew how to do. I probably wouldn't build one straight from scratch (I haven't gone completely made yet), but i'd love to know the protocol she had for building the rear section of that locomotive.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
There was another young lady (Traingirl) who was a VERY good and clever modeller, who posted on TrainOrders.com, but she was innundated with idiot, offensive, posts from guys who thought that a girl shouldn't be able to make, and paint, models better than they could - and literally drove her away, with their attitude and messages. Discrimination by sex is not dead - unfortunately - though several members got booted off the forum for it.
shortliner Wrote:There was another young lady (Traingirl) who was a VERY good and clever modeller, who posted on TrainOrders.com, but she was innundated with idiot, offensive, posts from guys who thought that a girl shouldn't be able to make, and paint, models better than they could - and literally drove her away, with their attitude and messages. Discrimination by sex is not dead - unfortunately - though several members got booted off the forum for it.

Yeah, that was sad, Leanne is/was a great, naturally talented modeler. Some of those guys over on Trainorders can be real asses. Most are great, but some are blithering IDIOT FOAMERS. It didn't help too though that she had VERY thin skin and a little bit of a self esteem issue. I really enjoyed her posts though and the photos were fantastic. It was refreshing to see a teenaged girl into model railroading.

I have three gorgeous nieces, two teenaged and one pre-teen who have a thing for vintage passenger cars, and are chomping at the bit to join their brother & cousin Dustin (16 years old) in cleaning adn restoring the interiors of Business Cars and California Zephyr cars at the WP RR Museum in Portola. My sister took them up and they were HOOKED. Really surprised me, so I'm going to take full advantage of that as a Board member and proud uncle, but I'll have to keep a close eye on them as some of our guys can get a little "out there" Icon_lol

My fiance is not only one of the museum's more active volunteers, she is also a modeler herself, and spends more money on model railroading than *I* do. Her thing though is scenery, she's too afraid to detail models of locomotives and cars (long manicured fingernails). She prefers scenery and placing structures. So I build them, she arranges, details, and "landscapes" as she calls it. She is madly in love with On30 though, and if she had her way, the HO would all sit in their display cabinets and I'd scrap the layout in favor of a logging road in On30. 35

Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Cheers Cheers

I was just thinking of her (Spitfire) before I read your post.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Does anyone know if Elizabeth Allen has a website, and or if she has written articles or posted stuff about how she builds these locos? I'd love to learn from her, no doubt she could teach me a thing or two(hundred). Cheers! Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Not her page, but links to some of her work, and a current discussion of her.
http://dieseldetailer.proboards.com/inde...335&page=1

She really is super talented.
-Dave
I've been into model railroading for close to 35 years. Everyone that knows me is aware of my love of trains. So when my wife first met me, she knew all about them. I also don't plan on building the Northeast Corridor, just a shortline on a tabletop oval. What makes my wife wonderful is she cannot understand why women want to change their husbands since this is who they met in the first place. She figures that we go to a lot of events that she wants to see, so it's a fair tradeoff.

Plus, as an operations hound, I'm always learning about different industries associated with railroading. My wife sometimes uses reading material that I have for lessons in her class (she teaches 8th grade Language Arts) regarding history and economics. I have a model of a European box car that she uses for Holocaust lessons.

When we first started dating, she told me that she wanted to go to Pennsylvania Amish Country. What does that mean to train lovers? Everybody all at once - STRASSBURG!!! We got tickets for the dinner train (always a good idea for something different and interesting), and arrived a half hour before the train was scheduled to depart, and I asked her if I could take some pictures of the equipment. So she sat on a bench near two other women while I and their husbands began photographing the equipment. Immediately seeing the is-this-going-to-be-my-future look on her face, one of the women told her "you'll always know where he is."

She's a very good sport. We go up to Woodstock, NY several times a year. On one occasion, we were talking to someone from the Catskill Mountain Railroad and they mentioned that not all of the volunteers come regularly. My wife then suggested that I join and we could come up several times a year.

All this and a great cook. I am a lucky man. Thumbsup Cheers
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.