Thirty days in the hole...
(with apologies to Humble Pie) is what the wait must feel like for crews whose trains are forced to take siding ("sit in the hole") for superior trains which are too long to fit into the road's passing sidings.
Inspired by my good friend Charlie's recent video, I managed to figure out my camera sufficiently to make this effort.

The location is the still-unfinished gorge of the Speed River, and the train is another of those backed-up and detoured by a recent wreck on the nearby EG&E. You'll have to supply your own sound effects, though, as this is DC operation.

Click on the image to get the train rolling....

[Image: th_TESTVIDEO-PartII.jpg]

Wayne
Beautiful, Doc...the mobile and static representation is your usual high standard, and the smoooooth, slow and steady motion made the train even more real-appearing (was sure I heard stack talk, springs groaning and wheel rumble) - and even longer than it actually was. No doubt, some secret mechanism tweaks you've devised made for such neat results...thanks for dusting off the motion camera and posting. Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
It was downright magical to sit back and watch the train pass there!

Looks great - and even without any actual engine sounds, it felt like I heard the engine sounds in the distance.

Great work!

Smile,
Stein
Great little movie Doc. If you don't mind posting a few more pics of the yellow Caboose, It caught my attention and I would like to see more.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Doctor Wayne stated: "Inspired by my good friend Charlie's recent video, I managed to figure out my camera sufficiently to make this effort."

Great work from 2 of my mentors--- your videos have lifted Big Blue to a higher level and inspired many members I'm sure Thumbsup
doctorwayne Wrote:(with apologies to Humble Pie) is what the wait must feel like for crews whose trains are forced to take siding ("sit in the hole") for superior trains which are too long to fit into the road's passing sidings.

Either that, or that's a mighty long tunnel...! Great video of an excellent consist. Lots of subtle variation on the boxcar theme, with others thrown in for good measure. Also interesting study of the colour "boxcar red". Wink Big Grin

Andrew
Very nice. Great to see some docWayne stuff being posted!
I'm glad I inspired someone. That is a great video, and I was really impressed with the quality when I took it to full screen. That's a great video location, and a great looking train.
It looks like maybe we are all getting back in the mood a little.
Charlie
Thanks to all for your very kind remarks.  Goldth

Steve, I believe that caboose may be one of the least-photographed pieces of equipment on the entire railroad.  357

Here's an out-of-focus view of it trapped behind a CNR tender (the loco must've been in the shop for repairs) and the running gear for a DM&IR Yellowstone (perhaps the victim of a boiler explosion?).
[Image: Foe-toesforChris006.jpg]

Here it is, just plucked off the rear of an eastbound coal train, and headed, with one of the train's two replacement locos, for the opposite end of the same train, in preparation for the continuation of the trip, this time northbound.  (I have a feeling the LPC (conductor) may have trouble moving those markers to the "new" rear of the car.  Wink  Looks like a job for the 0-5-0.  Misngth

[Image: Latestprotofoe-toes-movincoal082.jpg]

[Image: Latestprotofoe-toes-movincoal083.jpg]

Edit:  Here are some more views - they weren't in photobucket, but I found them in a forgotten file on my computer.  (It's easy to see why they were "forgotten". )  Wink  357

This is an earlier view from the "moving the caboose on the coal train" sequence.  The light loco is moving towards the camera on the passing track, and will pick the caboose off the rear of its train, while the road locos move the train over onto the passing track.  There were several trains involved in this sequence, and it may be posted somewhere on the Forum.:
[Image: Latestprotofoe-toes-movincoal075.jpg]

And seen here passing the power plant at Lowbanks/Port Maitland:
[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd018.jpg]

And finally, what appears to be a rare photo of the other side of this particular car  Misngth  :
[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007thirdcd317.jpg]

The car is a slightly modified Athearn AT&SF-style steel caboose.  I plated-over a couple of the windows, added a Canadian-style smokejack, and some Cal-Scale markers, and modified the platform handrails with a couple of swoopy curves.  The balance of the handrails and grabirons are the cast-on ones, with a little paint to make them stand out.  The trucks are from Kadee, with leaf springs added (the coil springs are still in place, too, as they help to keep the phosphor bronze leaf springs in place.  This car will eventually be upgraded with better details when I get back to work on my caboose fleet, which, right now, is mostly a pile of styrene and a drawer full of trucks and couplers.   35

Wayne