Hudson Cement becomes Empire Grain
Wow, that is a huge complex - you must have used GERN flux to build it as it is 3% larger than anything I've seen. Goldth

Like your idea with the paper punch - will have to check next time I go to Michaels.
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
My first attempt at gluing the drywall paper and window transparencies to the wood stock to form one of the conveyor housings. Its just sitting on four PVC silos that were originally part of Hudson Cement. I capped them with cardboard from the back of legal pads and see they have gotten a little battered after years of handling. I'll need to come up with something better.
[Image: IMG_2331.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2332.jpg]

Thanks again for all of the supportive and complementary remarks guys. Wayne, being compared to E.L. Moore is high praise indeed!

ngaugingnut, The complex is so large because I need to cover a long length of hidden track behind the facility. It could have been the power of GERN. When the complex was a cement plant it received the occasional shipment of GERN cement flux. Smile

As for how tall the silos are...Pete is on target. Each one is slightly taller than an actual foot so I'm thinking 90-95 is right on! Good eye!

Ralph
looking good Ralph. Thumbsup keep them coming.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
A little more progress: I completed the conveyor housing for the two longer sections and set them on top of the new silos...

[Image: IMG_2334.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2333.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2336.jpg]

Next I'll turn my attention to redoing the structure in between them with the mocked up blocks on top.
The progress is coming along nicely and looks very good. No doubt, that structure is HUGE
very nice Ralph! Your style of "get-er-done" modeling is very motivating to me. I am attempting to build a smelter complex that will inevitably be selectively compressed. I'm having a hard time envisioning how I can make something look plausible in the space that I have despite the fact that I really don't know the details of how the process worked 100 years ago. Your steel mill and cement plant (now the grain elevators) have inspired me to create something without too much hassle or expense that will at least fill the void until I understand the details a little better.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Great structure. I love the hot air ballons in the backdrop. Are they in from New Paltz? It defitely gives it an Ulster County feel because at one time, hot air balloons were on the cover of their tourism pamphlet.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike, I sure like having you on board. Its great to have some one make reference to places like New Paltz. Makes me a little homesick. Smile
Ralph
I can understand that. Here at NYU, kids are always homesick. I gotta tell you though. I've been pondering the idea of making my railroad interchange in the vicinity of Kingston now that I've visited Rondout Landing. I'm a New York Central fan and I love going to Woodstock, NY.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

A Kingston interchange sounds good to me! Thumbsup

OK, I've started the makeover for the structure between the silos. First I plucked off the plastic grid windows. Then I cut card stock to fit in between the vertical divisions that will cover the original surface of the building. I used my handy paper punch to make new windows that line up with the locations of the former "windows". You can see the little white spots where paint peeled off with the grid windows.

I covered the balsa blocks to create the top of the structure...is this called the "cast house"? Windows were punched into the card stock that will cover the balsa block form. Here are the components strewn about to give you an idea of how it all fits together. I'll be using the same gray paint background/ clear transparency window approach as I did on the conveyor housings.

[Image: IMG_2346.jpg]

Ralph
The paint dried so I was able to assemble the structure. Here it is on the workbench...
[Image: IMG_2348.jpg]

A close up of some of the windows...
[Image: IMG_2350.jpg]

On the layout with the silos...
[Image: IMG_2351.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2352.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2353.jpg]

Still two more buildings like this to makeover! Details to add. Silos to weather....

Ralph
Thumbsup Thumbsup
Definitely two thumbs up.
Charlie
Cheers Cheers

Wayne
Now that’s what I call a grain elevator. I add a third thump Thumbsup .
Kurt
Cheers That is one impressive structure!!!
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines