Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Looks - (Doggone And Mighty Near) Good to me !!!
You've been learnin' while you've been away ! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
"You've been learnin' while you've been away !"

I can only hope Pete! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Very inspiring Thumbsup keep up the good work!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thanks Kevin!
Mike

Yep, it’s the October 1984 issue of Model Railroader…almost 27 years old…yikes!!! Eek

I got it right here and I will reread the Murphy Branch article tonight to refresh my memory on what started my love of the Southern Railway. There’s a nice Southern SD40-2 and caboose build in it also.

Mark
ezdays Wrote:I always remember the saying that the success is in the details, and you have the details. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Gotta agree with The Man.....

Thanks for the VERY FINE pictures.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Mark I'm not famaliar with an SD40-2 but if it's 6 axle it probably never saw duty anywhere west of Waynesville very often and that pic is just south of Topton and I doubt it was ever there. The Murhpy was pretty much 4 axle territory and in the days of steam nothing bigger than a Connie or Mike. Gus, thanks I will try to get some more up soon.
Mike

The "the Murphy Branch article" states that the locos were 4 axle.
There's also an 1895 coal hopper in that issue, that could be modified as a 3' gauge hopper.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Isn't the SD40-2 a 6 axle? Actually I thought all SD's were GP's with two too many axles! Goldth I realize MR probably used that even if it was 6 axle because it was what they had on hand but if it is 6 axle I'm suprised a bunch of rivet counters didn't jump em' for that! Eek Icon_lol
Mike

The SD40-2 was one of the most popular US road engines. It has 6 axles.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH95183">http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default ... D=ATH95183</a><!-- m -->

There’s an explanation in the magazine of the cover shot, which indeed is a diorama modeled after a section of the Murphy Branch. Jim Six did the kitbashed locomotive and caboose (also in the magazine) and they needed a place to photograph it, so an actual photo contained in the article was the inspiration.

Mark
Thanks Mark for the info as I no longer have that copy (or if I do I have no idea where it is Nope ). That scene is at the top of the Topton grade and I knew no 6 axle unit had ever been there. Thumbsup
Mike

Hello Mike,

good to see another Southern Murphy-Branch / Graham County Railroad related model railroad in N-scale.
You may remember my freelanced modular layout wich is based on the same area and railroads.
I like your details and photos a lot. Maybe I can get some inspiration for my layout from your pics.

Actually, I'm working on the new Graham County Junction and I have to more main line modules under construction. Once the are done, my Southern modules are completed and I'll start with the Graham County Railroad.

Keep the photos from your layout comming and enjoy the Southern Railway 8-)

Cheers, Gerd
Thanks Gerd! I do indeed remember your layout and I'm looking forward to more updates on it! I hope to get some more pics up soon.
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Mark I'm not famaliar with an SD40-2 but if it's 6 axle it probably never saw duty anywhere west of Waynesville very often and that pic is just south of Topton and I doubt it was ever there. The Murhpy was pretty much 4 axle territory and in the days of steam nothing bigger than a Connie or Mike. Gus, thanks I will try to get some more up soon.

Interesting. What is the reasoning?

In parts of Canada, branch lines were the territory of 6 axel locos because the per axel loading on the lighter rail was lower than if they'd sent the smaller, but 4-axelled locos. e.g. RSC-2

On the steam side, CNR restricted use of 2-8-0s on southern Ontario branch lines because they were heavier than the light Pacifics they had.

Andrew
Andrew I'm guessing because of the very tight curves we have here in the mountains. Being is it was a branchline and never intended to be a mainline I'm guessing the curves were tighter than normal. Topton is on a compensated grade of around 7%. Trying to get 3 SD's thru that double curve (S curve) while on that kind of grade may not be doable. But 3 GP's go up it with no problem.
Mike