Nantahala Midland V 3.0
Mike, that's some very great work you show here. I really like your way of modeling and the new pallet factory fits perfect to the rest of the layout.
I'll also post a very tiny update to my Southern project this evening...

Keep up the good work, Gerd
I must repeat myself. It is amazing what you are doing in scale 1:160.
Reinhard
Super work in Nscale! My compliments.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Thanks for the nice comments guys! Gerd I'll be looking forward to seeing your update!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
good work !!! Thumbsup
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Thanks Harry!
Mike

Starting on the creek area. The gray paint is latex, the coloring of the rocky areas is done with pastel chalks.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

Yet another use for the Dremel tool when you run out of push pins. The second pic is with the most basic of ground cover and third is as far as I can go until I do the water. So no large bushes or trees yet.

Attached Files Image(s)

Mike

That sure shaped up nicely! Blends in perfectly wih the surrounding scenery. Nice little "how-to" as well. I have an unopened can of polystain that works like your dremel tool. Smile Good looking additon to the Nantahala Midland! Thumbsup
That's really coming together nicely, Mike, but I'm wondering about the boulders in the creek bed: are you planning a series of small waterfalls at each of those points, with "water" material on the upstream side filled up to the top of the rocks? Otherwise, I'd think that a watercourse able to cut such a deep gorge would have simply diverted itself around the obstacles, carving a new path.
I do like the way you've done the tree canopy and how well you've blended it into the backdrop. The scene looks like it goes on for miles. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:I do like the way you've done the tree canopy and how well you've blended it into the backdrop. The scene looks like it goes on for miles. Thumbsup Thumbsup Wayne

Wayne, you should see it in person !!! Yeah, it's that good. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Mike, I like the way you brought the "creek" on, and back off the layout. I'll be watching to see how it turns out.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks guys! Wayne these creeks while not always large in size are pretty much whitewater all the ways so there will be a series of minfalls if you will. Keep in mind the creek isn't is deep or the side quite is steep is it looks in the pic I think. Certainly not out of line with what's around here in real life. In scale the widest point of the creek is about 15 feet and the deepest about 2 foot. If it was any smaller it would be called a branch in these parts. Those rocks you see are really to small to qualify as boulders although it's very hard to tell that in the picture.
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Those rocks you see are really to small to qualify as boulders although it's very hard to tell that in the picture.

This brings up an interesting question......Understanding that the Rock of Gibraltar, is not "small", where do rocks, and boulders fit ( smaller/larger ) by comparison ? Icon_twisted Icon_lol Icon_twisted Wink
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Around here if it's bigger than a dump truck it's a boulder anything smaller is just another Indian sex stone ( just another freaking rock) according to our RDPer's* Pete. Icon_lol

* RDP = Registered Dirt Pusher (The local guy that does backhoe/bulldozer/grading work)
Mike

Icon_lol

"Around here if it's bigger than a dump truck it's a boulder anything smaller is just another Indian sex stone ( just another freaking rock) "

Sounds more to me like ( just another bolder statement) 357 357 :evil: Big Grin